Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

effects of exposure to cat urine

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
what are the harmful effects of short and long term exposure to cat urine (liquid and smell) in a house that reeks of it? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dsteele283
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
There are probably no harmful effects, although it might be somewhat irritating to your nasal passages because of the ammonia. As for furniture, carpets and the like, yes it's going to be harmful in that respect!

Personally, that's just plain disgusting and if a house smelled like that I wouldn't even consider stepping inside. Why did you want to know?

(Note: pregnant women should never come into contact with cat little boxes because of the potential harm to their baby and pregnancy.)
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: robo6120 

replied January 29th, 2012
because I have a friend that has 7 cats in her home,the smell is something awful. She doesn't notice it. She says she has a hard time sleeping, her memory is getting bad, her eyes are watering. I can see where the ammonia would cause the watering but I was wondering if the smell could be harmful to her health. She is 28.
|

cat urine
Thank you for your reply. I ask because my mother-in-law has become the nasty old cat lady and I am trying to find out information on it so my husband can show her how harmful it is since she does not care about the look or smell.
I no longer go in the house, and I can see family problems coming with the holidays.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
I don't know what it is with people and their cat lol. It's like they let an animal rule! Would they let kids rule the house? Certainly not! I really feel for you and hope that something works out so that you don't have to face something really nasty and having it ruin your holidays.
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: robo6120 

cat urine
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Well, if she ever decides to sell the house...it's going to be tough. You have to disclose that information to the people you are selling it to.

Also, it damages wood badly. Sad
|

replied August 23rd, 2008
cat urine
Boy that is the truth. The wood is already badly damaged. She does want to sell the house and I have told her it would be difficult at best. I think she just is not living on Planet Earth. Not sure what to do. Thanks.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
cleaning up cat urine
I have a freind who lives with two cats, one fixed and the other not fixed. When you walk into the house you are overcome with the smell of urine. I believe they uriniate on the furniture as well as the floor and walls. Any suggestions for clean up besides lighting a match??? When I have asked him if he smells it he tells me he does not! I would think that it is harmful to humans...and I think he has lost his sense of smell.
|

replied January 9th, 2010
We have a cat that has issues with using the litter box and will find a scarf, stuffed toy, paper plate... anything else to go on. We are going to have to have him put to sleep, as he is also diabetic and has some food aggression issues with the other cats. Plus, I am pregnant and will not bring a baby in the house with that. When I had talked to the people at the local pet store, they sugested Natures Miracle. There is one especially for cat urine and it really does help. Takes time to clean up, as you saturate the area and then soak it up with a paper towel, but it also works on stains. Also, Bath and Body Works has Wallflowers (plug in sents) that are odor nutralizing that also help (there is a citrus one that really works well).
|

replied March 14th, 2010
I know of someone who allows their cat to relieve itself where ever it pleases. I will not go to their house because of this. Not only can it be harmful to our health but, It has strained our relationship and I need to take things a step further for the animals sake. Check out this link to see for yourself.... Don't just take my word for it.
|

replied October 27th, 2010
Cat urine and its affects from the odor to humans.
Try this on for size, how about 14 -20 acts in a house. The ammonia smell is overwhelming to the outsider. The cats have had a significant amount of infections. Also, an older woman (87)has developed a bad cough, has weezing, teary eyes, and a few other health effects. She has been in thr residence for over 5 months or so.The other aspect is that the cats seem to have the run of the house.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
I spoke to my friend and asked her if she could smell the odor. She said no and asked if I could smell it, I said yes. In two days she had cleaned every room and there was no smell of cats since then. I didn't want to speak up about the smell in her home but I figured among friends we should speak up. We are still friends. Thank you for your answers and the information.
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Cat urine removal
If cat urine has saturated wood there is a primer/paint type substance called BINN that you can get at a Home Depot or Lowe's in the paint department. You pull up the carpet and remove base boards then apply a coat of this product and it will remove the odor and ever since we did that the cats have quit using the bathroom wherever they please.
|

replied May 7th, 2012
are there harmful effects of breathing in cat urine/amonia? i know its disgusting and all that, but, i cannot believe it does not effect a persons well being. would really love to get a definite answer. let me know.

thanks
bonnie
|

replied October 6th, 2012
effects of cat urine
yes, it is harmful, it can cause headaches, dizziness, sore throat, lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, watery eyes, laryngitis, rhinitis, loss of smell, increased heartrate, high blood pressure, prolonged exposure can lead to bronchitis, pneumonia, shortness of breath, burns to the trachea, lung irritation, it can also damage your liver, kidneys, lungs, and eyes. in extreme cases it can even cause suffocation. the ammonia in the air irritates your airways and can make it difficult to breathe and can cause respitory infections in which you cough up phlegm and children are at a much higher risk of being effected.
|

replied November 12th, 2012
Too many cats!
My friend has 11 cats and his house not only smells terrible but he also has litter boxes in every room,and probably 100 or more empty tidy cat boxes. He knows it is bad but takes in any stray cat that comes his way. His home used to be beautiful, but now every room is devoted to the cats and they are disgusting. Any suggestions? I fear for his health.
|
Tags: urine, smell
Quick Reply