Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Effects of Chlamydia

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
Just today i was diagnosed with chlamydia. I'm So scared because i cant tell my mum because she will throw me out of the house :( and i don't know what is going to happen :( I'm really so scared and don't know who to talk to because from my experience adults in my school can't be trusted and you can't tell anyone because some how it will get out! I'm just so scared it's unbelievable. I Suppose my main question is how much are the antibiotics going to cost as i have no money and will be paying for them myself and another question is how will i know if im infertile :( please help me...

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2009
Sexual Health - Women Answer A5745

Do not worry too much. Chlamydia can cause infertility, but only if it is not treated for long period. The infertility is due to the scarring the Chlamydia causes. There are no specific symptoms of the infertility. The affected women will have problems getting pregnant and that is usually the reason for a gynecological exam. The Chlamydia infection itself might even be without symptoms. If symptoms are present, they would most likely include the following: lower abdominal pain, discharge, painful intercourse, irregular menstrual bleeding, cervical motion tenderness, fever. Because the symptoms are not very specific, the woman sometimes wastes a lot of time trying other treatments before visiting a gynecologist.

As for the medications for Chlamydia infection, you might want to visit a gynecologist. He would prescribe the medications and might ask you about other health issues (for example: allergy to drugs). He might also inform you about the price of the medications.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.