Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Effect of CTscan radiation on menstrual cycles

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hello, I had a CT scan last week within the 10 days of my menstrual cycle. The CT scan was for abdomen. I am worried about my menstrual cycles. Will cT scan radiation affect my menstrual cycle? Will I have regular periods from next month? Please help me. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2011
3 wk period
I had a abdomen ct done on day six of my period. i am now on day 15. However, they did have in the final report that i have bilateral adnexal cyst.(ovaries) idk.. im at a loss big deal theyve found ovarian cyst in female infants. All women get cyst there nearly every month. but normal cyst burst or w/e and go away. the only cyst doctors will heed to are cyst that dont go away or cyst that are very large. Mine arent large (from the ct) nor did they even mention cancer. But still 3 wks of period is startin to P me off. lol.. oh and im not pregnant, not on birth control, 29 with 3 kids. i cant say the ct had an effect but im not sure it didnt either.
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2012
I had a ct scan 6 days ago on a fri and i was already late for my period...perhaps the stress of worrying for so long about the pains i've been feeling there affected it? but they gave me a preg test, came negative, and now i've been just ever so slightly spotting since, but still nothing that requires a tampon, a panty liner lasts me all day. its weird cuz i wanted to know the answer to your question too, whether or not all that radiation affects my period, fertility, etc...my gut tells me yes it does, no matter what doctors say...i learned a long time ago to follow my gut by following up with this pain in my abs...they found one 5 cm cyst on the left side and i'm going to the obgyn in 2 hours to see if they found anything else...so maybe its the cysts affecting the period as well, but since i've never quite experienced a period like this before, i say the ct did as well. good luck!
|