Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

EDs dont exist

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
i just had to mention a recent convo i had with a work collegue
we were talking about eating disorders and he said eating disorders dont exist,its just a made up mental health condition for people who are just funny eaters,people chose their body shapes.people chose whether they are bulimics or anorexics and they can stop it at any time,they are just attention seekers,its not a true mental health disorder.
i know for a fact eating disorders is a way of dealing with emotions rather then a want to be extremly thin,i know for a fact that i dont see dead thin models and want to be like that.
i know there are different reasons why people have eating disorders
some use it as a form of control,some generally think they are fat when they arent,some are in the middle
some know they aint fat but fear becomin fat
my work collegue whos a psych nurse used to work with people with EDs told me that i did have some form of ED though she wasnt sure what type but she knows i am not the type thats deluded in thinkin that i am fat when i am not but i am the type thats afraid of becoming fat and that i use food as a form of control.does anyone get what i mean here
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 20th, 2010
That's ridiculous. Your colleague has no idea what he is talking about. So people can chose to be bulimic or anorexic? Ask him what about the people who die of anorexia or bulimia? If it was as simple to stop like "just start eating" or "just stop throwing up" then no one would die of it and quite frankly no one would have ED's anyway if they could choose to not have it anymore. I've had an eating disorder for almost six years so trust me if I could choose to stop it, I would.
|

replied March 20th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
"Choosing" to continue to exhibit the symptoms of disease doesn't make it non-existant any more than going off your medication causes you to suddenly go insane. When you choose a behavior that you know is dangerous to your health you have a disorder, when that disorder has a diagnosed and understood pathology you have a disease. It's not that complicated.
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
They don't choose to do this, but it is often something in their past that stays awake and cautions them about eating...Maybe something from growing up or a parent that stresses thin...Just the society alone that we live in is a handicap....To many bulimics, throwing up to them is like a laxative...Until you can eat all the food and keep it down and deal with the price of your sins of gluttony, you cannot defeat it....That alone is the answer to this disease....Truly accepting all of yourself and changing your thinking from the inside of you to learn to accept the outside...Take care...

Caroline
|