Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Edema in legs/indentation?

I used to have high blood pressure and retained alot of fluid in my feet and legs and got on blood pressure medicine and compressed stockings. I got my blood pressure under control when I lost weight and it's actually really good now even tho iv gained the weight back that I lost. I have been noticing that if I sit a certain way or if I push in on my legs/shins they leave a indentation and stays that way for a while. Im just a little bit concerned because any time I go to the doctors my blood pressure is really good. Should I start wearing my compressed stockings again? Should I make a doctors apt?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
PinkRottie84,

The persistent indentation you get when pressing over your shins, is actually a test used by doctors to check for "pitting edema". Pitting edema can be a sign of several things, which can include:

What causes pitting edema?

Edema is caused by either systemic diseases, that is, diseases that affect the various organ systems of the body, or by local conditions involving just the affected extremities. The most common systemic diseases associated with edema involve the heart (heart failure), liver, and kidneys. In these diseases, edema occurs primarily because of the body's retention of too much salt (sodium chloride). The excess salt causes the body to retain water. This water then leaks into the interstitial tissue spaces (the "space" between the cells), where it appears as edema (fluid).

The most common local conditions that cause edema are varicose veins and thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the veins) of the deep veins of the legs. These conditions can cause inadequate pumping of the blood by the veins (venous insufficiency). The resulting increased back-pressure in the veins forces fluid stay in the extremities (especially the ankles and feet). The excess fluid then leaks into the interstitial tissue spaces, causing edema.

So, it is usually recommended that a patient see his/her physician if they have pitting edema, to determine the underlying cause. In the mean time, yes, you should use your compression stockings, to help push that fluid back into the core.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?