Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Ecstasy , canabis, alcohol causing skitzo ?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
About 4 years ago i started using ecstasy. for the first few times it was great until one rave where i had a bad trip. my friend came up to me and was paranoid and thought people were after him. Being the good friend i was i stayed with him the rest of that rave and i started getting paranoid too. That night was horrible, I kept feeling that people were after me or wanted to kill me. It lasted for about 2 days for me until my parents called the police because I was going nuts. After that incident i kept using ecstasy and I would get paranoid attacks every time but less severe.

So my use of ecstasy became less frequent but my use of cannabis and alcohol became more frequent. I became an everyday all day smoker and a binge drinker on the weekends. I've been getting a lot of these skitzo paranoid attacks for the last 4 years when i smoke or drink . The symptoms would be extreme paranoia that people are planning to kill me. I keep thinking that my past actions are the reasons why people are after me as if i did something to wrong people. If I drink too much and black out, I would wake up scared the next morning because i can't remember what happened. I would keep thinking that I could of possibly done something wrong when I was drunk and that is why people are after me. I would start relating reality to my paranoid thoughts and put the pieces of the puzzle together to support my paranoia. It's getting so bad that I get scared to sleep. During my paranoia attacks I also rethink about my past actions and get worried and scared that those actions are the reason that will cause harm to me in the present or future.

What should i do? Is it the drugs and booze the reason for my relapses? Should i not drink or smoke ever again? Does anyone have any tips or advice that can help me? I've stopped smoking cannabis for 2 days now but i still get paranoid. This latest attack came after I got wasted beyond belief and now I don't leave the house, see my friends or face the world at all. I even get paranoid of my closest friends. I'm scared to see a doctor because I don't think im psychotic and I don't want others to thnk so either. Ijust want peace of mind and to be normal again.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 31st, 2009
Sadboy,

Anything in excess is not good for you and if you have been doing all of the above to excess then that needs to stop. Stopping ecstasy is a good start, the side effects of ecstasy are endless but do include paranoia. However the most likely reason for your paranoia is your daily cannabis use. One of the biggest side effects of cannabis use is paranoia, the more you smoke the more paranoid you get and as you've been smoking daily for 4 years then this is very likely the cause. How bad your side effects are depends on the individual, sounds like you have it quite bad. To let you know I am not just somebody spouting off advice, not having lived the reality. I was an excessive ecstasy and class A user over a period of around 7 years and a daily cannabis smoker for over 10 years. Paranoia and other side effects won't go away just two days after you've stopped, you need to give up for a long period of time (preferably for good) and you should feel better. One thing is for sure, if you don't stop then things will not get better. You say you want to be normal again, things won't be easy but I'm sure about this - if I can give up after my usage for over 10 years then I am sure that you can too. I would suggest that you try and get active, the health benefits are obvious but it has the added benefit of getting you out of the house. If you always smoked in your house or your room then it is a good idea to get some activities away from the place where you did your smoking as the craving will always be strongest in this place. Get in touch with some of your friends who you may have lost touch with (non cannabis smokers of course). Surrounding yourself with people where cannabis isn't the focus is massively helpful. Maybe confide in somebody that you can trust, telling somebody your problems can feel like a massive weight has been lifted. I am assuming that most of your problems stem from your smoking as you have mentioned that paranoia is a big problem and you smoke daily. If alcohol is a daily thing then I would suggest that this is an even bigger problem than the cannabis. Cannabis addiction is not that strong (in comparison with most other drugs) and although it might send you a bit loopy(!) it won't kill you (cancer aside of course). Alcohol addiction is extremely strong and can kill you. If you have an alcohol addiction I suggest that you get help quickly, tell a trusted friend or if you can't do there will be a number of local groups you can contact. You should be able to get a number from the internet or your local telephone directory. You can try and quit on your own but statistically you are far more likely to succeed as part of a group. Whatever you decide I wish you luck, it will take time but remember that the longest journey starts with a single step and if you want to 'be normal again' this is the only way.
|

User Profile
May the power of the universe be with you Sadboy, and I can asure it is!!! Get help. AA, NA, CA, any "A". With a sobriety/clean date of 1/19/05, 30 years of all the drugs/alcohol mentioned above and then some and I can get clean and sober, so can you. As Clayton1302 said above find a local group in your area either via your local phone book or from the internet. Best wishes.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
yes those drugs combined will make things happen to your thoughts. try eliminating theX 1st. That in my opinion is the worst then try the next 2

best wishes
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2009
Thanks to all who replied, your posts have been very helpful. I've stopped cannabis for about 1 week now and I feel a great difference. I've started to go out more and I feel like I have more to live for. I still feel sketch at times but I realized that it's not going to change overnight. I haven't touched ecstasy and I don't think i will ever again. I fear that drug now. I have been drinking the last few days because of the Halloween festivities and I have been monitoring how much i drink. I get to a slight buzz and I don't drink anymore even tho my body craves too. I hope my progression continues.
|

replied December 1st, 2009
THE SCARIEST THING IS THAT YOUR BRAIN IS STILL GROWING! Until the age of about 25yrs. So any alcohol, drugs etc will stop you from reach your best potential!!! But lucky your brain is so flexible, still your probably more likely to develop dementia. MEMORY LOSS! and what ever, I don't remember because I have been a binge drinker since age 14 and my memory is shot! Imagine! with this brain then I could have been more than a scientist. WHATEVER!
|

replied June 16th, 2010

Its all in your head.ive smoked canabis for 20 years now and im fine.it all has to do with the person.everyone reacts differently.i went to college got a degree.i am fantastic with remembering things faces and especially numbers.so canabis is not the reason for your paranoia.weed doesw not make you paranoid ppl will kill you.ecstacy does not either.its all in your own brain.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
Drugs don't cause schizophrenia.

You can be a schizophrenic on drugs though.

They may however be somehow inter related but not the cause.

I believe that the cause rests solely on the choice of whoever is messing around with the schizophrenics brain, perhaps the drugs in some way or another are inviting to them, or perhaps allow them certain privileges with the person.

But however, there are a whole heap of people who have never touched a drug and are schizophrenic, especially children for some reason.

I desire greatly to know about said subject, perhaps some peoples brains are born as if they had already taken drugs, that can happen, they can have High similarities, it's a fuzzy subject to me.

But it is so obvious that drugs don't cause it, they do. And it can happen to anyone, any time, anywhere, and in fact does alot of the time, just in different ways, they are always whispering in peoples ears and suggesting things, without people even knowing.

So, I would probably define schizophrenia before you ask if drugs can cause it or not.
|