Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

eating more fruits and veg, having watery stools?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
hello,

In the past few days ive changed my diet from eating high sugary and fatty foods to eating more fruits and veg, exercising regularly and drinking around 3 cups of green tea a day. Ive noticed that since this change, my stools appear watery and runny, and resemble mince meat (yuk). The colour appears to be normal brown, and theres no bleeding or redness, i once suffered from watery farts just before my BM. After ive had a BM i have a dull pain in my lower right abdomen which lasts around 20 minutes or so, but apart from that i dont suffer from fatigue, weakness, fevers, etc.

Is this due to a dietary change? Im 23 years old with no underlying health problems...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Fruits and vegetables contain more of water content, along with lots of soluble fibre. The content of insoluble fibres (that are not absorbed, and hence form bulk of the stool), varies with the type of fruits you consume.

In your case, your symptoms could be due to a recent change in your diet. Having proper fibre rich foods like Almonds, Cooked Black beans, Bran cereal, Bread, whole wheat Bread, Brown rice, Cashews, Flax seeds, Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Red Lentils, Lima beans , Oats, rolled dry oats, Quinoa, Pasta, whole wheat, Peanuts, Pistachio nuts, Pumpkin seeds, Soybeans, Sunflower seeds and Walnuts - can be helpful to have well formed stools.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.