Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

eating flax, bran, fiber and yogurt, still doesn't move righ

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
White male, 53, get a physical every summer. Last physical showed me in excellent health. Had colonoscopy at 50 and it was clean, no polyps or problems, just minor hemorrhoid. I normally eat a bowl of raisin bran with skim milk in the morning and before bed, and I eat a sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch with some fruit. I don't eat a high fat diet, and I probably get 20-30 grams of fiber a day. I am pretty active working with marching band, but I do drive about 60-100 miles a day.

I got constipation a couple of weeks ago, along with a flaring hemorrhoid (with a little blood) and started adding flax seeds to my raisin bran, and I also started grabbing fiber one snacks some days, and I am eating yogurt some days. It still doesn't move like it should. Hemorrhoid ointment fixed the hemorrhoid problem.

Should I be concerned? What are possible causes? Please advise before I spend money I don't have on doctors (insurance deductibles too high for a healthy person).

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2016
General Q and A Answer A58943
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. You are doing great job with diet and lifestyle adjustments. Keep doing it and there is nothing to be concerned about. Keep laxatives compliant in use and increase fiber and fluids intake. Adapt good toilet habits. I am sure bowels will improve.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.