Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Eating Disorders and starting period

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
User Profile
hi, im 12 years old and when i was younger i had an eating disorder when i didnt eat much at all and if i did eat it wouldnt be a proper dinner and i wouldnt eat alot, now im on and of my food but i have started eating better, does this mean this is going to effect my period? does it mean that i may not even start my period ever?
please answer my question as i get stressed out with stuff like this
many thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Eating Disorders Answer A12272
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned with eating disorder(probably anorexia nervosa) and its effect on menarche.
The onset of anorexia nervosa (AN) during childhood can affect the timing of puberty. The first period may be late because of many cases of amenorrhea including anorexia. You must consult your psychiatrist for detailed evaluation and questionnaires to establish the diagnosis of eating disorder as the same cannot be made online and start appropriate remedial measures.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Eating Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.