Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Eatin Dissorder How can I get better at eating?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi. I am 14 years old in 9th grade. I haven't been eating very well becuase I am never hungry. I am not worried of gaining weight. I dont't know what I should do and I am getting pretty concerned. I am afraid to talk to my parents becuse I am afraid they'll get mad if they think I'm not eating cause I don't want to get fat. Thats not the case. I really would like your help? How can I get better at eating? Thnx giggle
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 19th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
betteranswer682,

You do not give your height and weight, but as long as you are within the guidelines for a proper BMI (body mass index), then it doesn't really matter how much you eat.

Everyones basal metabolism is different, so each person needs a different amount of food to sustain life. The amount of calories you take in should cover your basal metabolism and the amount of calories you expend with your daily activities. If you are not really very active, you may not need a whole lot of calories each day.

You do not say whether you are a young lady or a young gentleman, but your avatar is male. If you are male, at 14 you are still in your active growing years. During this time, your body does need a well balanced diet, with adequate calories for growth. However, most adolescents in the developed countries get enough to eat, in fact, most get more than they need.

As long as you are not losing weight (unless you need to), you are probably okay.

It is not uncommon for people to go through periods where they just don't feel like eating a whole lot. Again, this is fine, as long as you are in a healthy weight and you have the energy to do the activities that you need to do.

However, if the eating is associated with certain symptoms, then you may need an evaluation by a physician. If you are not eating because you are depressed or upset, then you may need to speak to someone about it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a medical person, just someone you trust: a school counselor, teacher, coach, pastor, friend, whoever.

If you have other symptoms other than just not being hungry, such as nausea, vomiting, malaise, diarrhea, skin rashes, abdominal pain, etc, then you really should see a physician.

If you are just interested in eating a better diet, there is a lot of information on the internet about what constitutes a proper diet. Or, you could talk to someone at school, such as a science teacher, health teacher, or the school nurse who would be happy to talk to you about the subject.

But, in general, you probably already know what you should be eating and what you shouldn't. You should avoid the high calorie, high fat foods that don't give you a lot of nutrients in return. You need extra protein at your age, for growth. You should load up on the fruits, vegetables, and grains.

The habits you get into now will take you through the rest of your life.

Again, as long as you are healthy, in a proper height/weight range, and do not have any really illnesses, then if you don't want to eat right now, it is probably okay. However, if you are losing weight rapidly or are under the proper BMI, then you probably need to talk to someone about it. Again, it does not have to be a medical professional, just someone you trust and like to talk to.

Also, most kids think their parents will get mad at them, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, the parents are very happy for their kids to come to them if they have any problems or concerns. That what parents live for, to help their kids. They really do want to help you. So, you should really try to talk to at least one of your parents. They are there for you.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: becuase, weight
Quick Reply