Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Alzheimer Disease Forum

Early onset Alzheimers?

Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....
Hi,
I think my husband has early signs of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. He occasionally asks the same question twice, he has gotten lost driving to familiar locations and he has visual-spatial problems. His father had early onset Alzheimer. He is 40. I'm so scared as have a young child and one on the way and feel I can't cope with this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Lilamutton,

Alzheimer's is just one cause of dementia. However, Familial Alzheimer's disease (FAD) or Early onset Familial Alzheimer's disease (EOFAD) is an uncommon form of Alzheimer's disease that usually strikes earlier in life, defined as before the age of 65 (usually between 50 and 65 years of age, but can be as early as 15) and is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion, identified by genetics and other characteristics such as the age of onset. It accounts for approximately half the cases of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. For a diagnosis of early onset Alzheimer's, the patient must have at least one first degree relative with Alzheimer's disease.

For early onset Alzheimer's there is genetic testing that can be done. You might look into that. However, with the symptoms and the first degree relative, it may not be necessary. If your husband does not have a neurologist, you may need to arrange for him to be seen by one.

Good luck.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
Does a person have to have long-term health care insurance arranged prior to seeing a neurologist for possible Alzheimers? We have been delaying seeing someone because we are scared if we don't arrange long term health insurance first then he might be denied coverage.
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2013
Alzheimer is a very bad disease and your husband got it early at the age of 40. My uncle was also suffering from Alzheimer disease.. He was affected by this disease at the age of 57.
|