Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Earlier than normal periods

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I got my period a week earlier than expected and about a week or so after ovulation- It was very heavy like normal.. Some people thought it was implantation bleeding, while others just go straight to saying that implantation, no matter what, will not be heavy like a period- but I've heard that it's possible. I want to be pregnant more than anything. The day it started, I couldn't write, i felt too weak, and around 2:30 i vomited. And never have I ever had pains that bad, especially to the point where I was sick. They were deeper, lower, and just overall different. It was heavy like my period always is, and its lasted for about the same amount of time (5 or so days). Although Friday, I didn't have any bleeding all day, and now I'm spotting brown discharge.. It's been going on for about 4 days (the spotting.) Its never happened before, and I want it to be from pregnancy. Today, on day 9 of my period, I have had a huge headache that medicine won't take away. What do you think?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A8519
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum

The bleeding that you have been having for the past 9 days could be a normal period. It is possible that in the last cycle the ovulation occurred earlier than normal. Hence, the periods came earlier.

Once in a while it is okay to have a slightly prolonged period. However, if this persists from cycle to cycle, it can be a cause of concern. The other possibility is that it is a miscarriage, if you have a history of unprotected sex. You can take a pregnancy test and see if there was a pregnancy. The HCG can be detected in urine for up to one month after a miscarriage.

Other causes of heavy bleeding which should be ruled out are fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on the internet please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.