Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Ear pain and tooth sensitivity after filling (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I had a silver filling replaced in a lower molar over two weeks ago because the dentist told me it was "leaking". I believed her and had it replaced. They used a composite (tooth-colored) filling to replace it. I received two Novocaine shots and the procedure went very smoothly. The dentist said there was no new decay under the old filling. After the Novocaine wore off, I had considerable pain where the shots had been given, mostly it seemed in my jaw near my ear. That went away after a couple days. I had mild discomfort in the tooth where the work had been done, but no big deal. Now I have mild to severe pain in my inner ear and the effected tooth is more sensitive than ever to heat, cold and food in general. The pain alternates between seeming like I have an ear infection or sinus problem and seeming like it's related to the tooth. Sometimes the pain is sharp, sometimes it's dull and throbbing. Advil offers some relief, but I'd like to know how long this might go on, and whether or not I should see the doctor or the dentist.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Sassy12
|

replied March 24th, 2009
Ear pain and tooth sensitivity after filling
I have the exact same problem as yours. I had the lower molar refilled last Monday and since then the pain has been very bad. I am taking Motrin twice a day to keep up with the pain. But it is most painful in the middle of the night and I am not able to have a good sleep. Did you find out from someone what is causing the problem? If so let me know.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
@Vamesh
Vamesh,

I went back to the dentist this morning after another sleepless painful night. They took another x-ray and didn't see anything. They did a cold sensitivity test and suggested my tooth might be cracked, although that would be unusual, and referred me to an endodontist. I was very lucky and was able to drive right over to see the new dentist who did another cold sensitivity test which didn't bother me, so he determined I need a root canal. I asked why, if my filling was very shallow and wasn't bothering me before, why all of a sudden, but he said sometimes it's not visible, the decay/infection is just leaking down the root into my jaw bone, causing pain. I have a root canal now scheduled for Thursday. I sure hope that's the problem, because all this is NOT going to be cheap!

Good luck.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
Ear pain and tooth sensitivity after filling
I have the same exact problem. I had two molars on the right lower mouth filled....Now I went my
PCP just to make sure it is not an ear infection. she gave me an antibiotic. I am having relief. I will have to see what happens.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Problem solved...
By the way, I had a root canal and a crown put on. Solved the problem. I'm still suspicious of what the dentist did originally because that tooth was NEVER a problem until they replaced the filling...
|

replied October 4th, 2010
About two weeks ago I had a filling put in, was a deep filling in my right back molar on top. I've had severe pain, throbbing and aching even back into my ear. I went back to my dentist who said because it was such a deep filling it would hurt for awhile. He gave me an antibiotic and said to come back if not better by end of round of antibiotic. I'm upset because I felt he didn't care about the pain I'm in and I felt dismissed. I'm not sleeping very well because of the pain, can't eat on that side and very sensitive to cold or heat. I don't understand it, I didn't have any pain in that area before he put filling in and now I don't know what to do.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
I am having a similar problem. The pain is getting worse. I never had a problem with pain until the filling. They used the tooth colored material, and I have been reading that is often a side-effect. Would have been nice to know. 6 days later and the pain is unbearable!
|

replied November 7th, 2011
SAME WITH ME!!!! I had a right top molar ( I think number 14 on top) and 19 on the bottom. Had it done last Wed, today is Monday. Slept 2 hours last night. Pain is soooo bad, and I usually handle pain well. It is now in my ear and is a constant ache, sensitive to hot/cold, ear seems plugged at times. The top right molar was a composite redo from years ago. Guess she said part was broken off (never felt it), or had a crack to the point where it had erosion inside, hence the reason for the redo. When she was done with my top molar, she had to add more to it.

Went back today, and she filed my btm tooth (19 i believe)...at this point, I can't tell which tooth is hurting, it's now the whole general area...pain is so great that it is hard to pinpoint.

She told me to wait a few weeks and see how that does...HELL to the NO...I will only tolerate 2 more days...

I too, had no previous symptoms/pain until it was messed with....
|

replied February 8th, 2012
tooth and ear pain
I also listened to my dentist - who said I need to have the mercury fillings replaced. He replace 5 of them (molars on both sides) over two visits. Now I have almost constant pain, especially bad at night, and very sensitive to cold and sometimes to hot, and even stranger to citrus. But worse yet, after just a couple of days I developed earaches - which are just feeling horrible, and do not go away even after 2 weeks. I went back to my dentist who said he needed to adjust some "high spots" on the new fillings but that did nothing - a week later I feel worse...
|

replied March 27th, 2012
Add me to your stories. Nothing more to say.

If anyone's pain eventually goes away, please update so we can all know how long this lasts.
|

replied June 6th, 2012
I had a tooth filling at the left molar 20th of Aprial, and the next day it start pain constantly and getting worse at night, but no sensitive to hot and cold. I went back to see the dentist about 2weeks later. She did a quick check and said it was a deep filling so the nerves may take more time to settle and it looks fine. After that the pain goes away little bit and not pain badly at night so I can sleep whole night without waking up. Now a month later, the tooth getting really sore when I bit really hard and ear pains all the time even tooth is not pain.
Did anyone has the same story? Is that normal for a deep filling. I am going to see the dentist next week and I don't want to do the root canal.
|

replied June 7th, 2012
Ah well it seems all of your "dentists" drilled in too deep, and have come too close to the dentin pulp, or have let a secondary caries develop under the new filling. If your hot and cold sensations are so apparent as well as toothache at night then it's definitely an infected pulp Sad
Seek a true professionalist immediately!
|

replied June 7th, 2012
(Follow up to March 27th)
Okie Dokie... my "dentist" is a dentist. My pain went away within 10 days or so. I used Sensodyne, and that took about 2 days to help. I had a second filling three weeks after the first, and the pain/sensitivity lasted for about 3 days.
What's a professionalist?
|

replied June 7th, 2012
You didn't actually write your story at the time, you just said you're in pain too. Even if your symptoms sound the same as the ones in the other posts you should add your whole story. It could just be that your teeth are too sensitive if Sensodyne helped.
But from what i gathered in the other posts people were in excruciating pain especially during night etc. and that's definitely not a sensitivity problem.
I have had a deep filling which kept me in discomfort for days after the procedure then felt ok then became a throbbing toothache which resulted in root canal.

When you're going to get a deep filling you should be aware that not much of the dentin is left, so make sure they clear out the caries very carefully, the drill should be at a very low setting or the dentist could even consider manually cleaning the tooth just so as much as possible of the dentin is saved.
|

replied August 10th, 2012
Ear pain after dental work
My tooth doesn't hurt ,but my ear has been killing me. I had this harpoon like pain in my ear as the dentist injected. The novacaine. I have had ear pain, then my ear bled for four days. I'm seeing an ent doc today, because my dentist told me that the pain I had during the injection meant it was in the right spot. I just want my ear to stop hurting!
|

replied August 14th, 2012
Glad to find this discussion. 8 days after having my lower left molar filling replace with composite and the jaw ache seems to be getting much worse, especially at night. I googled to see if this was common and found this group. It is also sensitive to cold. Anyone feel like going back to the dentist really helped??
|

replied August 27th, 2012
I went to the dentist 11 days ago and had a deep 2 new fillings done, and a repair of another on my right side. I had some issues with the freezing and had a minor panic attack during that and in total had my jaw opened for practically 2 hours.
That part went fine, and the next day I had really bad pain in my mouth on that side. It does go away slightly with pain killers, but returns in a few hours. It is worse at night and often wakes me up in the wee hours of the morning and I have to pop some more pain killers.
I went back to the dentist a week after the filling was done and told them how I was feeling. The dentist checked by putting something cold on my tooth, he compared one tooth with the one that had the deep filling. The pain was insane! So he figures I need a root canal. I couldn't get into the office for it until Sept 12 but the pain is so unbearable now I had to call them this morning and beg them to take me in sooner. They put me on a cancellation list and actually called me later to say I can get in tomorrow. I'm scared but I really hope it helps, I can't take this pain anymore!

I also think something is wrong with my jaw, because if I lay on my side the pressure I feel in the joint is insane, and if I lay on my back that pressure goes away. It goes away slightly with pain killers as well, but it comes back with the toothache. I'm uncertain if it's the tooth issues itself or something different.
I'll post how the procedure goes and let you know if it helped...I hope so.
|

replied August 27th, 2012
I have the same problem and i am feeling so much pain in my tooth.Some times my teeth got bleeding, help me?
|

replied August 29th, 2012
I had 4 fillings (lower left molars & wisdom tooth) done on aug.2. The Pain and aches started the day after procedure. I figured this was normal since I had so many fillings done at once in the same area, and just took some Motrin. Motrin helped. Pain continued everyday and after 2 weeks the pain got even worse and spread to my left ear, almost feeling like an ear infection and on some days very warm to the touch. I was back in the dentist's chair on aug.22, dentist suspected infection and prescribes 7 days of antibiotics. I took my last dose of antibiotics last night, pain has subsided a little bit, but I still have that ear ache as of this morning. I just took another Mortrin. By the way, I've been taking motrin everyday since Aug.3, I'm sure that's not good for me. I will give it another week and if pains still persists, I'll be going back to the dentist.
|

Hello painiac
The pain in this case comme mostly from the wisdom tooth which i think that it has a pulp infection which shuld be treated as soon as possible with root canal treatment or the extraction of the wisdom tooth specialy if there was an abcess arround the root of the wisdom which shuold be examend carfully by the dentist and by the x ray,without waiting on mor painrelife medicament which is not so good to continue.
|

Hello Almaher,
Thank you for your response. The dentist and I both suspected the wisdom tooth as being a possible issue, esp since I cannot pin point the pain to any specific tooth. The pain is all along my lower left jaw line and left ear. If the wisdom tooth is the case, I will be opting for an extraction since that's what my dentist wanted to do to begin with (prior to filling cavity on wisdom tooth). I will post an update with my outcome. Thanks again!
|

replied August 30th, 2012
I have also a pain in my ear, still i don't know what is the reason behind it, but I don't have any problem in my teeth.
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2014
Sometimes teeth pain become ear pain..
|
12 >>