Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Ear Infection that won't go away

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For about a week now, I've had an ear infection that won't go away. I was initially prescribed amoxicillin, then revisted a doctor who confirmed a middle and outer ear infection in the right ear and a middle and inner ear infection in the left ear. I was given a shot of Rocephen, Ultram for pain and Niacin ear drops. That didn't help at all so 5 days later I went back and was given a steroid shot and Augmentin (antibiotic).

I know I've only had this a week, but it's the worst pain and feeling ever. Sounds are muffled, my ears pop when I yawn or swallow, I can't blow my nose for fear of popping my ears (happened once, thought I burst my ear drum) When I yawn lately, I hear a giant whooshing sound of air running through my right ear. This is awful and painful and uncomfortable.

My doctor referred me to an ENT if things don't clear up in another week, but any suggestions or comments or thoughts?

-Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 11th, 2011
Anyone?
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Swimming Earbands
Rae, sorry to hear of your pain. Given your level of discomfort I recommend you visit your ENT ASAP. they sell swimming earbands and earplugs which are extremely when swimming, especially if your ENT recommends you have grommets inserted. Best of luck - John
|