Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Dysphagia (trouble swallowing) caused by hiatal hernia?

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Hey,
I'm a 19yr old female of a healthy weight, but for the past 3 months, have gradually developed trouble swallowing.

I have been having a really hard time swallowing food and water for the past month (living off yoghurt and sips of water).
I was admitted to hospiatal last week due to dehydration/general weakness due to malnourishment and had an endoscopy and a barium swallow.

I was told, in passing, by a doctor that the tests showed a hiatal hernia and GERD.

Could this be the cause of my swallowing problem?

Also, how would it be fixed?

I have to wait until next week to see the doctor to have my questions answered..
So i'm sitting here. frustrated, weak and hungry Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2012
GERD
I was just diagnosed with GERD due to hiatal hernia, same as you. How do you feel now that it has been ten months since this posting. I would like to know what the future looks like.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
kitkat, yes, swallowing is a problem. I have a hiatal hernia and a ruptured diaphragm. It hurts like hell to swallow. My throat is slowly closing down and I have to crush up pills to swallow them. A hiatal hernia is fixed usually by laproscopic surgery in which a doctor will insert three to four tubes through your abdomen under sedation. The standard old way was to so the weakened diaphragm shut again. This has close to a 50% failure rate. Then there is a nissan fundelcation. They take part of the upper portion of the stomach, unroll it to make a collar, and place it below the hiatus. The newest and so far best way in my opinion is sewing or stapling mesh to the diaphragm. By doing this it makes it so the diphragm will not pull on itself were the rip is. In the most complex cases doctors have had to do abdominal or thorasic opening to sew the diaphragm when there is complications. Eeach presents more risk. The chest being the highest.
|