Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Dysmorphic lobulated Kidney

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hi, just had a ultrasound of the abdomen done. The report says that my left kidney is dysmorphic and very lobulated. Not sure if congenital or acquired. The length is 11.7 cm. Some thinning of the parelchyma is seen. There is seen to be calcification on the upper pole and there is also a small simple cyst present near the upper pole. The right kidney is normal.

Would like to know what does all this mean? Do I need to be worried?

One of my mom's kidneys was underdeveloped (from birth) and the other was overstrained, meaning she had CKD. She was able to control the damage for past 15 years with diets/medicine and just started on dialysis last month. I had 3-4 UTIs when I was young (from the age of 3 to 9).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2017
(online)
Welcome to e health forum.

The condition you have described here could possibly due to Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease.

Autosomal dominant Polycystic Kidney disease is a inherited disease which occurs in both children and adults, but it is much more common in adults. Symptoms often do not appear until middle age.

Bilateral multicystic kidneys is characterized by the replacement of part or the entire kidney ‎by ‎‎irregularly lobulated cystic masses (size varying from 1-30 mm) ,held together by loose ‎‎connective tissue. The ‎renal structure is completely absent, with scanty normal renal tissue. ‎

In cases of unilateral involvement, and the remaining kidney is in good shape, People can function well with just the well functioning single kidney.

Renal Complications associated with polycystic kidneys include - bleeding or bursting of cysts , high blood pressure, kidney stones and recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs)

The management of the condition is done with monitoring for onset of ‎issues like proteinuria, elevated blood pressure and change in renal functions should be done, and ‎treatment should be done as needed. ‎In case, the condition progresses at a rapid rate, and results in end stage renal disease, you may need measures like Dialysis or renal transplantation.

Patients may consult your doctors regularly, so that, blood pressure can be controlled with anti-hypertensive medications, proper renal (low salt) diet, and diuretics.

They will have to make sure, that any urinary infections are treated properly. Cysts that are painful, infected, bleeding, or causing a blockage may need to be drained.

In case, you do not have any other medical diseases, you can be a candidate for early renal transplantation, which may help to improve your quality of life and prevent complications.

I hope this information helps.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.