Medical Questions > Mental Health > Dyslexia Forum

Dyslexia-NFL coach called it "lazy"

I'm very upset with the comments made in the media by 49'ers coach, Mike Singletary about a young and rising football star, QB Nate Davis. Nate has dyslexia and needs to learn playbooks differently than most. He did succeed in sports in Ohio and Indiana (college-Ball State) due to the mentoring and different coaching styles they provided him. He learned his plays and became a true leader on the field.

Mike Singletary has refused to stray away from the old school way of coaching and Nate is finding it hard to learn this way. Instead of understanding dyslexia and seeing the raw talent this young kid has, Singletary bashed him in the media as being LAZY because after trying to learn on his own all summer the playbook, Nate still didn't understand it. In the NFL, comments like this puts a "black mark" on this poor guys future in the NFL. I'm surprised that no one in the dyslexia "community" did not cry out and put Singletary in his place since he is obviously uneducated and insensitive to those with dyslexia.

Just had to vent....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 4th, 2010
Experienced User
i agree with you but unforchantly there are still a few dinosers out there who do not know a lerning disability when it jumps up and bites them. i have fort the few remaing people with such predudic and won, mostly becuse with an IQ of 114 i can out think them without trying. it is not us in the dyislexic community it is those who are so called normal able who must change, a few simple changes (which incidently tend to help everyone) and all is well, but if they won't it is there own falt if they luse the talent which dislexia and othe rlerning needs give., there and the gain of those who will adapt to individual needs.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply