Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Dynamic Hip Screw Removal?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I had a hip screw put in 1991,i am 58yrs old now,i have been in pain since 1991,if i lie down flat and try to lift left leg over right leg it locks up,or some sort of tendon near private parts clicks and i have to roll on floor like a dog to free it,its worse than cramp,also my bone in bum is constant sore,when walking i can feel side of left leg getting hot,when sleeping i cant sleep in a bed,i have mattress on floor,and have to sleep on front with left leg lying over mattress on floor,i dont use painkillers,never will do,i use a tens machine to help pain,but after turn it of,pain comes back 10 times more,base of spine is constant pain,sometimes i have to freeze and stand with back against a wall,plus my ankle and heel are as one,ankle bone and arch are flat,i fell 25 feet and landed on feet,i have been told to take out hip screw,would mean a scar from hip to knee,and at my age operation could be drastic,as would try free ankle as well from heel.hammer & chisel job,40% chance to work.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
ray156,

Taking out a DHS (dynamic hip screw) should not require that long of an incision, as the side plate on the system has usually only around 6 screws. The incision would only need to be just long enough to get the side plate off. Unless you had a custom made prosthesis, that was much longer than the ones normally in the sets. But, anyways...

Taking the prosthesis out may decrease any pain you have on the lateral side (outside) of the pelvis and hip region. Such as, if you have trouble lying on that side. Or, if you have trouble with the tensor fascia lata muscle moving over the plate when you flex and extend the hip.

But, it would not help any pain you would have in the low back or in the groin region. It would also not help any pain that is coming from the hip joint itself. And, of course, it would not help the ankle or foot.

But, if you want it taken out, that is up to you. As long as you are willing to go through the procedure and the rehabilitation afterwards, it is not unreasonable to have it taken out (as long as the fracture is completely healed).

Just go into the surgery with realistic expectations.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: ray156