Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Dull slight headache occipital

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hey guys,

Ive had this dull pain in the back left part of my head and partially on top of my head, mostly back left part though. Its been there about a month
Ive been to a free clinic and everything came out fine, good blood pressure, no temperature, reflexes and vision, hearing, and everything else is fine.

Had blood work done because they though I might have an overactive thyroid....but that came back normal.

One weird thing is that the top left spot where it hurts a little is warm to the touch, just that spot. The DR thought that was weird too, said its where my hair swirls and might be the thinnest spot on my head and is warm cause its closest to the blood?

I have high anxiety and this is a scary issue, never had a dull pain in my head for this long, sometimes it hurts a little more than others. While some days I can barely tell its there at all, especially if im focused on something else.

Dr said my mind could be making it hurt, such as focusing on it to much and my mind makes it hurt cause I think about it to much? But I don't really think thats it, cause I can be focused on something and it can break my focus from some pain.

Anyone have any ideas?
Am I just crazy?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the extensive post!

-Chris
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2008
Supporter
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. It's doubly worrying, given that you have no diagnosis, I'm sure. One thing you might consider is request an MRI to check for muscle or tissue damage to the brain. That's usually done via a neurologist. Can you get a referral?
|

replied September 22nd, 2008
rooted wrote:
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. It's doubly worrying, given that you have no diagnosis, I'm sure. One thing you might consider is request an MRI to check for muscle or tissue damage to the brain. That's usually done via a neurologist. Can you get a referral?

Yeah it does suck, the DR was like it should make you feel better that I found nothing wrong, when that is quite the opposite, why should I be experiencing a 6 week headache for no reason.

I'm not sure I can get a referral, I can try though. I got free blood work done through the free clinic with a form they gave me. Maybe I can get a free MRI out of it, cause I don't have health insurance right now and can't afford to go get an MRI.

I just think the weirdest part of the symptoms being the warm/hot area around the top left spot of my head, the radius of it covers where the pain is, its not a little spot, which worries me. Usually something on your body is warm because of some sort of infection but they ruled out infection cause Im not running a temperature.

Sitting at home trying to watch TV and focus on something else sucks because every other commercial is a Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercial. How inconvienent for me, lol.

I can only come up with a few things it could be, heres my list:

-TMJ (Tempero-Mandibular Joint) disorder, ive had it before and my ear kinda hurts with my head, left ear, so could be that ( tho last time never had head pains *shrug*)

-Brain Tumor (Slow Growing) This is absolutely the LAST thing I would want, that would be the worst news ever. But I don't really have any of the other symptoms with a tumor, no nausea, no vomitting, no seizures, no fainting, no eating problems. Those are typical of a fast growing one I assume though which is why i put Slow Growing. Ugh

-Ear/Head/Tissue/Nerve infection - Would be a decent outcome, take some antibiotics and be through with it.

-Nerve Damage (either in my neck or head since upper neck injuries can cause a headache in that location, though I can move my neck around without pain so I kinda doubt that one)

Anyone ever had a similar thing happen to them and what the outcome was?

Thanks for the help so far
-Chris
|

replied April 29th, 2009
I have the same thing!
I just had a MRI and it showed a small white spot. I too have a dull, sometimes sharp pain on the back left side of my head in one spot. It does feel warm to the touch as well. I have been having visual disturbances and other symptoms. You need to get an MRI done. I am getting all my testing done now with my neurologist. I will get back to you on any additional info. on this. Dont get yourself worked up until you get some tests done. Hang in there.
|