Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Dull Pain on Right Side

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi,

Thank you for reading. I've been dealing with dull pain on my right side for a long time now. I've seen several GI doctors and they seem to be stumped.

I've had the following symptoms from time to time but rarely all at once:

Diarrhea
Nausea
Upset stomach

Here are some other facts:

I've been dealing with this for a long time (1+ years).
I've had a colonoscopy (came back clean)
CT scan that revealed some gravel in my galbladder.
Doctors have narrowed it down to IBS or gallbladder disease.
I don't think it's IBS but it's come up with my doctors
My current symtoms are just pain on my right side.
After eating a meal (fatty or otherwise) my pain does NOT change really (this is why doctors are stumped) like a nonfunctioning galbladder would.

I'm a 28 year old male in good health. I eat great and am physically active. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for reading.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The presence of gravel or sludge in the gall bladder, is a indicator of a probable inflammation or low function status of the gall bladder.

First and foremost, you may try dietary means to reduce your pain and symptoms due to gall bladder dysfunction.

1. Proper hydration and water intake.
2. A diet rich in water soluble fibers (found in fruits and vegetables). ‎
The inclusion of at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and two to four servings of fruit each ‎day is a must in a gallstone diet. Include fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); ‎raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges. Include more of vegetables like ‎beans, corn, and broccoli.‎

‎3. Include a lot of whole grain bread, corn bran, cereals, buns, muffins, bran flakes, whole wheat ‎cereals, whole grain pasta, and brown rice in your daily diet. ‎

‎4. Make sure you stay away from red meat, fried ‎and fatty food items, onions, alcohol, and eggs. Staying away from heavy proteins like cheese, ‎butter, and whole milk is also a good idea.‎

In addition to the above measures, you may also need a HIDA scan, which may help to determine the functioning of the Gall bladder. In case, it is low, then proper treatment measures, including surgery, might be needed.

You may consult with your gastroenterologist for further advice and treatment.

|

replied January 30th, 2012
Thanks for the reply. My diet is generally good with lots of fruits and veggies. I'm thinking a HIDA scan is the next step and I have an appointment on Wednesday. I'll continue to try and modify my diet but I do a lot of what you say above with minimal milk (I used a little in oatmeal this morning), cheese, or eggs. I had a few cocktails on Friday night but that was it.

Is there anything I can do in the short term to push the gravel out? I drink a lot of water. My bowel movements seem regular.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied February 9th, 2012
Anything I can take to maybe decrease the dull pain I have every day? I would describe it as a chronic dull pain on my right side. I've had regular bowel movements every day (not constipated and no diarrhea).

I've also read to try Apple Cider Vinegar but doesn't seem to be doing much, yet. Any idea how long it may take to help?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.