Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Dull Mid-thigh / Femur pains / aches / anterior

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have been expeirnecing a mild to moderate, dull pain in my right, andterior, mid-thigh- and feels like its on or near the outside of my femur. It comes in waves of about 3-5 seconds at a time, and can go on for as long as a minute some times. Time between waves differs wildly.

The pain is very similar to what my parents told me were 'growing pains' as a child, but now I'm 25 and I dont think ill be getting any taller...

The pain is not onset by physical activity, in fact, it generally occurs when I have been sitting for a while, and I cannot recall experiencing it while walking. I'm not a particularly physically active guy, but I'm not obese, so weight strain or thigh splints seem unlikely.

this has never been an indefinitely persistent condition, as it has only occurred usually once or twice every 6 or more months, but in the past 4 or 5 days, I have been experiencing it more often then ever before, and has become slightly more painful and frequent.

Also, following the more severe waves, My leg generally feels warm all over for a few seconds... though, that could just be my anxiety about the pain playing tricks on me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 1st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
PhayzR,

Though the pain does not bother you when you are active, could you have done more activity than usual on those days? Maybe walked more than usual or used the stairs more? It is not uncommon for muscles to ache after resting a while, even though they do not hurt during the activity.

I assume you have no other symptoms; no redness, objective warmth, mass, etc.

It is going to be very difficult diagnosing something that is intermittent. Where the leg is completely normal in between episodes.

But, if it is significantly bothering you, see someone about it. That's about all you can do, expect wait and watch it.

Good luck.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
I get this too - the dull pain in my mid-thigh as described. Generally happens when I'm hung over. It doesn't bother me enough to see a doctor but I always wonder what it is.
|

replied November 26th, 2012
Upper leg ache
I have a ache runs from my upper leg to my knee on occasions to my foot, can't get comfortable so effects my sleep. I can exercise, walk with out issue. When I sit for 10 minutes or more upon getting up I can feel stiffness in the joint which gradually goes after I have walked a while.
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Deputydog,

One of the hallmarks of inflammation is discomfort that goes away with some activity. It is not uncommon for patients with inflammatory conditions to have pain and stiffness after periods of inactivity (sleep, rest, etc), and for those symptoms to get better once they get up and moving.

So, you may have an inflammatory problem (tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, etc). But, it would take an thorough evaluation to figure out what exactly is going on.

If it is bothering you significantly, see an orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.
|