Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Dull Headaches

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have been having this dull headache in the back right side of my head and ringing in my right ear. The ringing just started. The location of the headache is specific, meaning it doesn't move to the front of my head or act like a normal headache. Initially I thought it could be related to a bed sore, meaning if I rest my head on a surface for extented period of time the pain occurs. I travel for my work overseas to Asia from the Boston area often. At least 9 times a year. I first thought it might be when resting my head in the chair for a long period of time that caused the problem. It would only occur when I flew in business class because of the seat reclining capability. Usually it would go away within an hour. I would also get the same pain when I was home sitting in my recliner. Is it possible that some fluid built up in just that area or something more serious or do I need to have my head examined? No pun intended. Any information would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
This sounds like a occipital neuralgia, headache felt at the back of the neck and base of the head, that may spread upwards (one sided headache).
Ear ringing can be present.
It can be accompanied with scalp sensitive to touch and eyes sensitive to light.
It results from irritation or injury to the occipital nerves, which can be due to different reasons.
Another possibility is cervical spondylitis, a disorder caused by abnormal wear on the cartilage and bones of the neck, resulting in neck pain, headache, ear ringing, loss of balance, abnormal arm sensations.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied March 4th, 2009
dull headaches
is it possible that it could also be associated with some sort of sinus infection because now my right upper eyelid is a little swollen.
|