Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Dry mouth, white tongue

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
For about 2 months now, I've been experiencing a dry mouth/throat as well as a white coating on my tongue. It can be brushed off or scraped off by a tongue scraper, but within a few hours, the coating is back. I don't think it's oral thrush, but I'm not sure. I also thought it might be dehydration so I drank about a gallon of water yesterday, and another gallon today, and it hasn't helped. In fact, drinking water makes the feeling/dryness in my mouth seem to get worse. Eating helps because it stimulates saliva production, but only for a few minutes and I can't go around eating 24/7 Rolling Eyes

Does anyone know what this could be and what I can do about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tman2
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Experienced User
I would go to the doctor. It could be oral thrush (same symptoms) but I think there are other things it could be as well.
|

Thanks for the reply michianderson. I will try to get to a doctor as soon as I can. Is there anything specific you think it could be (besides thrush)?
|

Experienced User
Do you have bad breath from it?
|

I think, but I'm not really sure. I tried the licking the back of my hand thing, and sometimes it's bad, and sometimes not.
|

Experienced User
I think with oral thrush if you scrape away the white stuff there is red tissue that can bleed. Also I believe it can be quite painful. Have you tried gargling with hydrogen peroxide a couple of times a day? Don't swallow it just swish it around your mouth & spit. If you are othewise healthy I don't think it would be anything serious. If you have a disease that effects your immune system it could be a serious condition.
|

Oh! Something I forgot to mention: I just finished an accutane course about 3 months ago, and accutane, from what i've read, has been known to compromise the immune system. I have also gotten sick more than usual after taking accutane. This is probably a part of it right?
|

Experienced User
I suppose it could be. I don't know a lot about accutane but if it does compromise your immune system this could be an infection. Your body would definitely be more suseptible to an infection. Have you had a temp? I would maybe just call your doctor's nurse and explain your symptoms to her. She can go over your records with your doctor and decide whether you need to start antibiotics or not.
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
what was it.
What was it?
|

replied October 6th, 2011
Hullo! It might be completely unrelated but I had a dry mouth and a slightly swollen white tongue- with white stuff at the back mainly. I tried mouthwash, scraping, couldn't seem to get rid of it. My doc didn't even look at it; she said if it was an infection it would be sore and I'd have trouble eating. Which I don't. I've also had 5 trips to the dentist since then and though I didn't ask her, she didn't mention seeing any dental problems other than fillings. The doc suggested dehydration, but drinking more water didn't help.

About 7 months after it started, I got a 'mild bowel infection' that turned out to be post-viral fatigue.
The reason I wonder if its connected is that I read somewhere that white stuff at the back of the tongue might indicate an imbalance of flora in the gut, which is also mooted as a potential cause of chronic fatigue. So try probiotics and make sure your vitamins are all up to scratch.

I'm not a doctor, just my experience and a guess.
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
Re: Dry mouth, white tongue
tman2 wrote:
For about 2 months now, I've been experiencing a dry mouth/throat as well as a white coating on my tongue.

have you been tested for HIV?
|

replied January 8th, 2014
White tongue, dry mouth, smoker
About a week ago I realized my tongue kind of felt sore, so I checked it out in the mirror and my tongue was covered with a white film, normally when I brush my tongue the film goes away, most parts (I can't brush my tongue for too long due to a gag reflex), but when I brushed it, only little parts came off, it kind of looked like my tongue was peeling. A few days later my mouth had become dry. I thought maybe I was dehydrated, so I drank a glass of water and a few minutes later it was dry again. I am a smoker, does anyone know what this can possibly be? I've looked around on other sites, and I got some information saying that I shouldn't worry, it'll go away once it takes it's course. Please if anyone has any ideas let me know, you can message me. Thank you so much.
|