Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Dry Mouth, Smoking or HIV?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have been smoking hookah pretty frequently for the past few weeks. Do you think this could be causing my dry mouth? I only ask because I thought the dry mouth would occur around the smoking session but it seems to be around all the time. I also had unprotected sex so I am worried that it may be a symptom of HIV.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2012
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Dry mouth symptoms cannot be attributed to HIV infection. It is definitely due to due to chronic smoking. Nicotine absorbed while smoking does act for a longer time, and this is a reason for the dry mouth. Trying to reduce smoking or completely quit it, will help to reduce your symptoms.

HIV is diagnosed based on the detection of HIV antigens and antibodies in the blood samples, and not based on ‎the ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎signs and symptoms that you may be having. ‎

One of the main problems in relying on HIV symptoms themselves is that they are notoriously vague and almost ‎all ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎the symptoms may in fact be symptoms of a different disease. ‎

HIV is transmitted only by having multiple sexual encounters with a HIV positive person, and not with a single ‎‎‎sexual ‎‎‎‎encounter with a HIV positive woman. The risk of HIV transmission by a single sexual intercourse is about ‎‎0.04% (Female to male).‎

In case, of persisting doubts and anxiety, you can do a 4th generation HIV test after 4 weeks of exposure. This test if ‎negative, will ‎confirm your HIV negative status.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.