Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

dry mouth morphine tooth rot

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
i have a new denist who is having to pull all my teeth due to dry mouth he works with cancer patients. once the salava glands are damaged like dry mouth. if you ask your denist to place you on a oral floride treatment it will save your teeth
this is to late for me after 17 yrs of morphine oral & pump but this can save your teeth please pass the word
depression plays a big part you must do the daily mantaince or your will loose your teeth for sure.

jim
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper painfulpast
|

replied September 20th, 2008
loss of teeth
very same thing happened to me..but with use of Methadone for pain, bcus I couldn't afford the MS Contin (long acting Morphine)...I had gorgeous teeth..now I have plates..
so poo is right..be ohhhhh so careful with your teeth...had I any knowledge of this ten years ago ...I would still have my teeth!!
|

replied September 20th, 2008
loss of teeth
very same thing happened to me..but with use of Methadone for pain, bcus I couldn't afford the MS Contin (long acting Morphine)...I had gorgeous teeth..now I have plates..
so poo is right..be ohhhhh so careful with your teeth...had I any knowledge of this ten years ago ...I would still have my teeth!!
|

replied February 27th, 2009
Crumbling teeth
If the VA had warned me about the long-term effect of Morphine on teeth, I would never have allowed them to prescribe that medication. It's interesting how they will throw expensive prescriptions at Veterans, but they won't take any responsibility for the rotten teeth they case. I'll have to finish the rest of my life with crumbling teeth; and, if I let my mustache grow long, maybe no one will notice.
|

replied October 14th, 2009
this helped me so much. i had great teeth and now problems left and right. looking at have my teeth pulled and relaced with plates or something. but like ya'll have had morphine pump for 8-9 years. nobody told me the affect it would have on my teeth.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Morphne and dental health
I have been on Morphine for 3 years. This weekend my three bottom front teeth fell out. I wore braces for four years and have been a fanantic about my teeth. Not one Doctor has told me about the side affects of this drug on dental health. I feel like I have been robbed or something. I am really angry!
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I also have been having trouble with my teeth, have been taking morphine and other pain pills 8 years, workcomp has not gotten back with me about fixing my teeth. please let me know if some one does get work comp to pay for their teeth.
|

replied September 14th, 2011
Ive been on morphine tablets for the past 18 months and my teeth have rotted away !! Atm i have 10 teeth left but there rotting away all the same, im so fed up about it i had beautiful white teeth before medication Sad
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
The effects of morphine on oral health
Same here.I've been on pain killers for years and have been on mst for 3 tears now.I have always cleaned and flossed my teeth 3 times a day and I also use a good mouthwash.About 6 months ago I noticed that some of my teeth were showing signs of cracking.Then over the coarse of 5 days 4 teeth just fell to pieces.This is so painful and what I cant understand is the mst helps with the pain caused by my crumbling spine but it does sod all for toothache.Kinda strange
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Teeth issues, dry mouth. morphine.
I am so crushed to read that you and many other people have had the same exact symptoms as I did. I am now in my early 30's and due to also taking morphine now have no teeth in my mouth. My once beautiful smile is no longer a part of who I always was a person who loved to smile and laugh. My teeth were turning brown and cracked some all the way down to my gum line and others cracked in half. It blows me away that these drug companies, doctors and pharmacies only feel it necessary to attach warnings for side affects like "may cause you to be sleepy or don't drink while taking this medication, etc. But don't in anyway feel people would want to know there teeth would be destroyed FOREVER. They don't care that I now have to walk around and be humiliated for the rest of my life like this due no fault of my own. I no longer can work, have been turned away from many job opportunities, I don't date, take pictures with my family go out to eat for fear or embarrassment and because I have choked many times. This has stripped me of my life, career and everything else I once had and was. This has truly ruined my life and many other's. I don't see a way out of my nightmare being I don't and will never have the HUGE amount of money needed to ever have implanted teeth which of course is another big reason for my daily depression. I wish my nightmare would just end.
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Hello LG1229
I'm sorry to read your posting that puts you in my group. I wish I had an answer to put that smile back on your face but I don't. I'm in the same situation that I am unable to work and will never be able to pay for dental treatment. To make it worse for myself I am on benefits and had to attend medical after medical to prove my condition to the state and one day one of the doctors decided that I had a genuine problem and suggested to the benefits agency that I should be moved out of the work focused group into the support group.this I thought would be a help to me as I would no longer need to attend medicals and it also meant my benefit payment would increase by about twelve pounds a week. The downside to this support group meant that I would be paid employment and support allowance in the form of contribution based. This form of payment instead of the income based payment meant my money had increased slightly but it removes all the other benefits you receive like free prescriptions,free dental,free eye care and everything else that I had received before. I have a wife and two young children and now have been left with all these other bills to pay with the prospect of never returning to work. My wife is unable to work as I am unable to take care of myself fully or our children. The system is a complete arse. Thank you Mr Cameron and your band of merry men.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
It is possible to be on opioids for an extended period of time and still retain all of your teeth. It takes a lot of work and diligence, but it is possible.

I have been on opioids (as well as other medications with cause xerostomia {dry mouth}) for over two decades and I still have all of my teeth. Yes, I have had to have some root canals and caps, but again, I still have all of my teeth.

It has not been easy. It takes a lot of time and effort every day. I brush my teeth at least three times a day, with a prescription tooth paste, which is high in fluoride.

At bedtime, my dental routine takes at least 45 minutes to an hour. I brush and floss thoroughly, which takes at least 15 minutes. Then, I do a fluoride treatment. My dentist made “trays”, which are like mouth guards, but are made just for you. I put a fluoride liquid in them and they have to be in the mouth for at least 30 minutes. So, again, it takes at least 45 minutes to an hour to complete my dental care each night.

Besides this, I carry water with me at all times. I also have “saliva substitute” with me, and use it regularly throughout the day.

I also have a Water Pik and use it once a week for cleaning. I also make sure that I keep regular dental cleaning appointments, every four months (the usual patient only needs them every six, but patients with xerostomia should have them more often).

So, it is possible to keep one’s teeth, even if one has significant xerostomia. I did not know at the beginning, that dry mouth could be a problem. But, as soon as I noticed that I was having more than the usually amount of cavities than most adults, I looked into the cause. The unique thing about cavities caused by xerostomia is that they occur around the gum line, rather than on top, like most cavities in the molars. Once I asked my dentist, it also piqued his interest. And together we did some investigating. This way almost twenty years ago. So, again, I have managed to keep all of my teeth, despite having significant xerostomia. So, it is possible. But, not easy.

So, for anyone in the early stages, it is possible to keep your teeth. Start now with your dental hygiene program and stick with it. Dentists nowadays know a lot more about the condition. And again, take the time and effort to do a good job on your dental care everyday and every night. It is worth it.

Good luck.
|

Hello Gaelic
Thank you for your informative reply and I sincerely hope that word gets round as they say . Sadly it is too late for myself and look forward to saving hard and getting dentures
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Andygreenday,

Yes, I was so sorry to read of all the members who have had such hard times with their teeth.

Luckily, xerostomia is much better known by the dentists nowadays, and the fact that opioids can cause it (besides the other medicines, such as antidepressants, antihistamines, etc - which many chronic pain patients also take) hopefully will prevent newer COT (chronic opioid therapy) patients from having the same fate as yourself.

I was lucky that myself and my dentist realized what the problem was and got on top of it early. It has not been easy, and like I said, I have had some root canals and caps, but at least I still have all of my teeth.

Unfortunatley, I grew up on a farm and drank pond water. So, I never had fluoridated water when I was growing up, thus that could also be the cause of some of my dental problems. Which is another reason for the routine fluoride treatments.

But, hopefully, with more and more people putting out the word, like yourself, the message will get around to those just starting COT. And, the physicians who prescribe COT are getting better about telling patients about the dangers of xerostomia.

Unfortunately, it is the meth addicts that have helped in some regards. Meth users have SEVERE xerostomia, and as such, the rotteing of their teeth is referred to as "meth mouth" by the dentists. So, they have actually helped get out the word that xerostomia is the root cause (no pun intended) of the problem.

Thank you again for helping in getting the word out about the problem with xerostomia. And, again, sorry about your problems. Hope you get a new set of teeth really soon.

Good luck. Wishing you the best in the new year.
|

replied December 31st, 2012
Teeth loss, rotted teeth. Dry mouth. ms contin.
Gaelic - As u said yourself you've now had more horrible things happen to your teeth then the average person who takes very good care of there teeth. Don't u find it unusual that u now have to take hours out of your every day life to avoid having your teeth fall out? I do. Many many people besides myself have had the exact symptoms happen to there mouth due to pain medication. so again people should be aware of the side affects before being prescribed these medications and have a choice as to still having there teeth. U still have your teeth and have really no idea as to the daily struggle having no teeth brings a person. It strips a person of who they areand what choices they now have. I have always had amazing teeth, career, dating and just life in general. I've never touched any meth drugs and in situations like that at least one would be aware that they might potentially ruin there teeth.

This situation is unfair to put it LIGHTLY for millions of people and nobody or nothing will never make me feel otherwise.

Good luck to everyone who have fallen victim to this awful situation. Keep your heads up. Happy new year and I hope 2013 brings you all nothing but joy and happiness. but more importantly one day a beautiful smile once again.
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2013
Especially eHealthy
LG1229,

You are correct in that nothing can bring back your original teeth. But, I do have a little bit of an idea of how you are feeling. I was little, but both of my parents lost all of their teeth. They also grew up on farms, and going through the depression, caused both to loss their teeth are pretty young ages (compared to nowadays). They had to have all of their remaining teeth pulled. I can remember them going through this, and what the family had to eat for a while (since they were on soft diets for a long time). But, when they finally got their dentures, they were the happiest people around. Sure, they were not their real teeth, but it was the best thing they had had for a very long time. Their social encounters were much more often, they smiled once again, and our dinners where much better.

So, while dentures are not one’s real teeth, they can make a world of difference to many patients. Hopefully, they will for you also. They are much better than no teeth at all.

And, you never know, you might be able to eventually get the dental implants. If you live in a large city, or are close to a dental school, you might contact the dental school. They often will do procedures for free or greatly reduced cost. It is something to look into. My brother got a lot of his gold dental work done at almost nothing by having it done at a dental school. Check into it.

Again, hope you have a good new year. And, keep getting the word out about the dangers of xerostomia, no matter what is causing it.

Good luck.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
Then why aren't the pharmaceutical companies putting warning labels on our meds. I have yet to see anything about tooth decay on my Rx's of morphine. I want to start a class action suit to make them pay for my teeth which I also brush at least 4 times a day and floss and carry water with me and have since 1998 but it wasn't until last year when my teeth were rotting that I was told by my pain Dr and the dentist. I can't afford to pay for all the dental care I need, especially since it wasn't my fault for the problem.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
morphine, tooth decay and more.
In 2007 I had a back injury, after four years of morphine, fentinal patches, and a couple others that cause dry mouth, first my fillings fell out, my teeth then started turning black at the gums and eventually broke off. I now have only 12 teeth left and they are bad as well. In Oct. 2012, I was hospitalized with stomach pains (I had been constipated for a couple of month) and they had to remove my entire Colon because it had became so impacted and perforated, I had been defecating into my stomach cavity and had became septic. I died, but they revived me and now I poop into a bag that I have to attach to my side where a portion of my small intestine is now located outside my body. I want to warn anyone who is taking pain killers to know that there is more than you know at stake. On a positive note workers comp has agreed to fix my teeth.
|

replied April 30th, 2013
A side note, I can no longer take any type of opioid, and have to live with my pain now, however when I stopped the meds, my teeth also stopped decaying, and the black is now almost gone. So it is without doubt the meds caused my problems.
|

replied June 14th, 2013
I've been taking ms contin for maybe 7 years now (not exactly sure because I changed pain killers along the way). Over the last 8 months, or so, my teeth have begun breaking apart- possibly due to elevating the dosage a few years ago to 60mg per day. I'm also taking antidepressants and other meds, so it has taken all this time for me to figure out it is probably the ms contin that is causing the dry mouth, which in turn is rotting my teeth.

I sit here now with one tooth broken in half, a front tooth starting to rot on one side, and needing a root canal on another. I also got two crowns last year- not to mention various other fillings. I have minimal dental coverage.

This is extremely distressful, as all of you have expressed. I wore braces for two years as a teenager, which was very expensive for my parents to afford. I have gotten a lot of crowns and fillings over my lifetime (I'm 61) but now the decay is out of hand. The thought of wearing dentures makes me cringe.

I have no idea what other pain killer may be available ... or not. I'm sure Worker's Comp would rather have me on pills than to send me to physical therapy. But absolutely, something must change.

I just left a message for my Worker's Comp doctor to see if she could see me sooner than her next available appointment, which is in November! I'm waiting for a c/b now.

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to post.
|

replied October 12th, 2013
Poobear01101, Thank you for putting up this post. I have been on Oxycodone for 8 years now for chronic pain and although its a wonderful drug to combat chronic pain I too have fallen victim to the loss of my teeth. Like many I had gorgeous perfect teeth my entire childhood my mother took me to the dentist every 6 months like clockwork I never had even a cavity as a child, never needed braces or anything I had my mother had sealants put on my teeth to keep them healthly and avoid cavities. My dentist used to use my teeth as a poster for incentives for the other children patients. I continued having beautiful teeth my entire adult life up until about a year and a half ago. My perfect beautiful teeth started breaking, and once the first tooth broke it was followed by one after the other I was horrified spent many days and nights in absolute panic crying fits..I lost my dental insurance in my 20s and did not have the means to go to the dentist as I have 3 small children and only my income to support us. After these teeth broke, decay set in and began eating up my once perfect teeth I have now lost a total of 6 teeth all in the back and all mostly molars. I have huge gaping holes where my teeth used to be and sharp jagged edges of tooth thats left in there that is decaying. My teeth just all started to break and that was it. Literally overnight it seems I have lost my gorgeous teeth I am now very self conscious of my mouth and smile its hard to eat as all these broke and decaying teeth hurt and I have none left in the back of my mouth to chew properly when I eat. I just recently went to a Dental school and had a exam by dentist and many many xray imagining taken of my mouth, teeth. I am trying to come up with the money to get the work done I need on the rest of my remaining teeth and god willing trying to get dental implants for the broken decaying teeth I have. I pray I can get the money needed to get the implants I need to save my mouth and bone structure as once your teeth are gone your bone and gums shrink up and deteriorate changing the shape of your face and mouth. I just turned 30 yrs old I have to get implants to replace these teeth I have lost. I am horrified at what happenedto my teeth and so quickly. I would have laughed if some one would have said your teeth will break off and decay. You are right it should be mandatory that a warning label be put on all opiate meds about what can happen to your teeth. I would have made it a priority to pay out of pocket to go to the dentist every 6 months. I had the most perfect gorgeous teeth and now that's just a memory. Im sorry to all of you going through this horrible and degrading experience. I wish you all the best and do make it a priority to either take oral tablets of flouride or rinse with a flouride 2xs a day it will strengthen your teeth. Take care everyone. Sorry for the long post.
|

replied February 1st, 2014
pancreatitus
i have cronic pancreatius and have now being taking morphine in the tablet form mst i take 100mg a day plus oramorph as and when needed i jave being on this medication now for almost 3 years and i have had to have all my bottom teeth removed and now my tops ones are starting to disappear slowly the dentist is really good and trys to save them but its a waste of time and money as a few months down the line im back at the dentist to have the tooth removed so i have had to pay twice for the same tooth,people say floride tablets are good what people dont know is floride is actually a poisen and used to be used in killing rodents and it also rots the the teeth and please trust me on this it is a fact
|