Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Drooling

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I have MS, over the last couple of weeks I have woked up with my nightshirt wet from excessive drooling in my sleep. Now the drooling is getting worse because am drooling badly when I try to talk or it will just start leaking at any time now. Can this new symptom be from the MS? This is starting to scare me, any help greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 1st, 2011
I also have MS.I have an extremely dry mouth from some of my meds so I drink wayer constantly. Alot of the time I will take a sip and hold it in my mouth for a while before I swallow. If I am really tired I will find my self waking up with water leaking out of my mouth and down my chest. Good thing is I'm usually alone so theres no embarasment. Hope that helps.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
A dentist told me having a lot of Saliva is a good thing! ( You will likely have your teeth for life!) Ask a person who has a dry mouth & they'll tell you they wish they had our problem. I have always had a lot of Saliva & been a drooler ( in my sleep) Never thought there might be a connection between MS and increased saliva production.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
As I was growing up I always drooled my saliva. I would occasionally choke on my saliva. As I grew older I would choke as I would drink water or other drinks.Now that I have been officially diaganosed with MS and am taking more meds my mouth is very very dry.I drool the water that I drink because of my dry mouth. I suck on mints, hard candy as well but thats not so good for your teeth and sometimes I just get tired of the taste it leaves in your mouth. I have also had a barium swallow test[cool you get to watch yourself swallow] and was told to swallow with my chin tucked to my chest to keep the flap to my windpipe closed because I was aspirating fluids as I swallowed. I am suppossed to drink frequently when I eat and use lots of sauces and gravies.Also drink with a straw. I don't think there is an increased saliva production as much as the MS has affected the muscles you use to swallow.The same way it affects the muscles you use to walk,to hold things,pick them up and carry them.And so much more. Before I was diagnosed, I worked with someone who knew someone who had a son with MS. I would always have my friend ask her friend if certain symptons I had were consistant with MS. My friend would come back and say yes it is, go to the doctor. If only I would've listened! The reason this post is so long is because possibly you will recognize some other problems you haven't quite realized you have or think of some other questions.I have read of so many other people with MS who have headaches and migraines but my neuro tells me it is not a symptom of MS. But I still get them and wish there was something I could take that might relieve them. Good Luck. One more thing. The drooling is always worse for me when I am asleep because my muscles are relaxed and I have less control.
|