Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Dromedary hump on kidney

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I am a 34 year old woman going in for a 6 month check up on 2 7mm lesions on my liver and on one 5 mm lesion on my pancreas a while back about 6 months ago. The did an ultra sound. About a half of an hour after the ultra sound was over i was told i needed to go get a ct with and with out dye asap they found a mass on my left kidney. I have had i can't even count how many ultra sounds cts mri's on my kidney's in the past i suffer from stones. I sweat out the results and my dr tells me don't worry you have Dromedary hump on your left kidney. My question is why have i in my 17 years of getting stones and ct and diagnostic test never herd this before? Where did this mass come from? Should I get a second opinion? I was told through my life my rt kidney is smaller than the lft. Oh and by the way no mention of the lesions?? I am puzzled and she could not answer the question I am asking you?

please help?
Annie

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11710
Hi, thanks for using ehealth forum for your query.
You seem concerned by the diagnosis of Dromedary hump which is a prominent bulge on the superolateral border of the left kidney. It is believed to arise secondary to moulding of the upper pole of the left kidney by the spleen during development. The normal nature of this alteration in contour is confirmed by uniform thickness of the renal parenchyma between the bulge and the underlying normal calyces. CT is superior to ultrasound and can distinguish dromedary hump(normal variant) from other cancerous masses of kidney.
Some studies indicate that patients with focal acute pancreatitis on ultrasound(as a possibility with 5 mm lesion in pancreas in your case 6 months back), without any focal lesion seen on either CT or ERCP, have a benign pancreatic lesion, which resolves in 1–6 months; thus, such patients probably do not need any further investigation or follow-up at all. Some small pancreatic cysts also disappear on follow up.
As far as the liver lesions are concerned, distinguishing between small benign malformations in the liver and early metastatic disease remains difficult. Metastases larger than 15 mm diameter can usually be distinguished from benign lesions in the same size range, but the discrimination becomes more problematic with smaller lesions as is in your case with two 7 mm lesions. Some small lesions are known to disappear on follow up so it is best to do serial follow ups for the same.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.