Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

drinking causing chest pain ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am pretty sure I have been having panic attacks and anxiety for the past few months. It all started one night when I sniffed a small amount of heroin...I also had two or three beers that night...Being overweight and inactive I had a habit of feeling my heart whenever I drank or did any sort of drugs..to make sure it was working properly I guess..So that evening when I felt my heart, It felt very low..I'm not sure if it actually was that low or if i just wasn't feeling it right, either way, I thought I was dying...I immediately panicked, left my friends house and headed for home..during the car ride home I felt as though I couldn't breathe...however I felt my corotid artery and my pulse was very high...my left arm also felt like it was tingling and going numb...I thought for sure I was dying or having a heart attack..it really scared the !**@! out of me to the point where I almost had my brother drive me to the ER...a few hours later my mother who is an LPN insisted that I was okay and I adventually felt better...however I haven't felt the same since than...Whenever I drink, I don't feel the same..I think drinking almost makes me nervous, like I'm going to die somehow, and I wake up with terrible anxiety....I also get chest pain, particularly in my left breast plate..pains in my fingers and my feet go numb sometimes...I also sometimes feel as though I can't breathe..Also yesterday at work I had this horrible sensation in my chest..I felt like my heart was..doing something, I can't explain it well but it was very uncomfortable and scared me...i also felt sharp pains in my hands and feet..I'm pretty sure this sent me into the horrible panic attack that followed...I also feel my pulse in the morning and it feels very weak and fast..I feel as if my heart isn't functioning properly...I remember waking up one night, going to the bathroom and i felt my neck and my pulse was very slow and weak and than it literally went BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM like ten times in my neck...I am a 21 year old male..5'11 295..large frame...Now my mother is an LPN and thinks that this is all anxiety and panic attacks and that I scared the !**@! out of myself that night...I went to two doctors..they listened to my heart, took my BP and some other stuff and said the same..one doctor actually said i can pretty much guarantee nothing it wrong with your heart...my uncle is also a cardiac nurse and listened to my heart and said I was okay...however I really can't shake the feeling that something is wrong...I have these heart palpitations and these horrible sensations in my chest (the sensations have only happened about 4 or 5 times)...My question is this...Could their be something wrong with my heart that noone is picking up on? I mean the doctors really didn't run any tests...Could they be just trying to dismiss this as anxiety to quickly...I really have abused my body for the past couple of years..mostly with food and smoking marijuana/cigarettes..I also used some other drugs sparingly..This is literally driving me crazy and I need some input..anything would be greatly appreciated..What should I do? Should I have some tests done?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2008
Community Volunteer (online)
Have you had any tests for panic attacks or panic disorder? Maybe your mind could be put to ease by seeing a mental health professional about these possibilities. Some of your symptoms definitely sound like panic attacks.

This link has some great information that you may find helpful.

panic attacks
|

replied October 15th, 2008
thank you for your input

I do believe I have panic attacks however they are not triggered by any sort of stress or anxiety...their triggered by some sort of bodily sensation..I understand that stress and anxiety can cause some frightening sensations but let me give you an example...last night i was on the computer, playing poker, totally relaxed when i had this odd sensation in my chest..it didn't hurt but it was uncomfortable...i'm not sure if it can be considered a palpitation..it was a sensation in my left chest..almost like something was happening to my heart..now this sent me into a full blown panic attack...I don't have social anxiety..I've been in high pressure, dangerous situations and I'm not an anxious person...it makes me nervous when i have this chest sensation...this is the second time its happened to me and i was sent into a full blown panic attack both times....i'm not sure if its all in my head or something is wrong with my heart...I know this probably sounds like a classic case of anxiety/panic attacks but the uncertainty is causing me much distress..any input would be greatly appreciated
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer (online)
Are you able to get any further testing on your heart? It would probably put your mind at ease if you could be positive that your heart was healthy, then maybe the anxiety issues could be addressed.
|

replied February 12th, 2009
chest pains
Hi, im male 23, i smoked for about 8 years, cigarettes, weed and drunk excessively at weekends and was invloved in doing drugs, pills, cocaine etc. Not heroin or crack.... About 4 years ago i started to experience chest pains and the year after i experienced pains in my left arm, almost like eletronic sensations.... this scared me to death and went to the doctors. They put me on an ECG to monitor my heart and they said my heart was fine... the pains went away after that... was very strange... and about half a year later they came back.... so i went for another ECG and an x ray on my chest. Nothing came up in the ECG and the x ray showed my lungs were clear and my heart wasnt enlarged..... recently i was at work in costa coffee and i experienced something terrifying.... a sudden sense of movement whilst stationary... when this first happened i sent me into a full blow panic attack.... i thought i was going to die.... This continued to happen, every day at wok, but never outside of work... sometimes the sense of movement was so strong i thought i was going to fall over... i came so used to this feeling, i was so scared i thought it was my heart missing beats, i thought it could have been a tumour in my brain.... im still not overly sure what it is, but ive told myself it was something to do with panic attacks, anxiety etc.... the weekend beforethis happened i went on a mild cocaine binge which might have triggered it all off..... anyway, still having chest pains... still having pains in my arms etc... and went to the gym the other day and all these pains went away, no moving around at work anymore so im guessing it was just lack of exercise..... so went out for a few drinks last night.... and now my chest pains are back..... so now im thinking it may be acid reflux.... but what ever it is, is scaring the hell out of me.... and it reall has had an impact on my life.... for the better.... i value life alot more, im a nicer person... and have stopped smoking, cut down on the drink and havnt done drugs for nearly 2 years.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Heart problems?
Wow, I have anxiety attacks too, but when I do they are not the same as this weird sensation in my chest... I get the same problems after a night of drinking so I looked it up online to see if anyone else was having the same problems... Im 21 and I drink every weekend for 3 years now and I smoke only when Im drinking.. Theses weird feelings in my heart dont hurt, after a night of drinking I try to sleep the day away but when I try to sleep or relax my heart pumps really fast like its going to just jump out of my chest.. I try not to let it scare me to go into a panic attack.. This just started about 5 months ago... Im not to sure but I know it wasnt that long ago. I havent told my doctor about it yet but I will this month.. Z28 I see you posted this 2 years ago I wanted to know if your still having these problems??
|

replied June 21st, 2010
random7
never fear i am 25 years of age atm i been workin on an oil rig now for 4 years, rostered 3 weeks off 3 weeks on, when home i drink every day and smoke, when offshore i am sober and do not smoke at all... i beleave i feel anxiouse when i have finnished my 3 weeks of hard partying that ive been doing for 8 years now and i have at least a bottle of spirits a day an half a pack of cigs daily when home, so all u young ones out there im still alive and kicking but now at this age i have major pains in my chest with the slightist of my first 5 alcho shots in the morning, cut down the doctor says but ull still live for another 30 to 45 years, stop the smoking and its longer life, flip a coin the choice is yours...
|

replied September 4th, 2011
chest pain and milk
I had chest pain until I stopped drinking milk. There is a whole book about drinking milk and chest pain called Homogenized & Atherosclerosis. The author Nicholas Sampsidis worked with the doctors who discovered the information. Also apparently saturated fat is better than vegetable oils unlike the advice we get. Hope it helps.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Panic attacks and blood sugar
I've been having panic attacks after drinking for a long time and related it all to every disease under the sun but then randomly I bought a blood glucose monitor in the local pharmacy. Normally my blood glucose is normal but after a night drinking I measured 2.7! I keep a packet of glucose tablets now for when I've been out drinking and it's totally cured me. If you look up the physical and mental symptoms of low blood sugar on wikipedia I bet several are very familiar. I know my blood suger quite well now and I can tell when I just start to feel panicky that 20 mins after 2-3 glucose tablets I forget all about it.
The reasons it seems is that your liver manages your blood glucose and after heavy nights out drinking it doesn't do a very good job.
I've found that unless I correct the panic attack straight away with glucose I generally feel the same for several days.
I've been monitoring my blood sugar and normally it's completely normal.

I hope this helps!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied June 25th, 2013
panic attack/anxiety or heart problem
i am a male just turn 30 in may of 2013 i have this problem for 13 years now, got it from one night of heavy drinking and taking my friend pain killer pill though it would make me feel good mixing alcohol and pain killer pill so later on that night i started to fell a really bad chest pain on the left side every time i would inhale and exhale i would feel this crazy sharp pain in my chest and lung it felt like a million needle poking me at once i took 12 pill that night and drank a lot, that night my live had change i went to the er and never been the same ever since, they told me my lung was foaming up so to recover from a heavy night of drinking i have to sleep it off take about 1 whole week just to feel better.i thought it was just me until i look it up and found others are having the same symptom now i know i'm not alone,
idk about you guy but i also get the same problem with greasy food you name it fast food fry food also from smoking weed,
but i haven't done that since i was 20yrs old quit it about 13 years now idk i'm hard headed never listen to my body even tho i know is really bad for me.as soon as i recover i'm on it again like a repeating cycle here a video link that help me understand what i am going through http hopefully it help to understand our problem better
|