Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Drinking alcohol with mono

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I am a college student and I just found out that i had mono a couple of weeks ago. While i had the symptoms of mono but before i was diagnosed with mono, i drank alcohol on 4 ocassion. Twice moderately (5-6 drinks thoughout the night) and twice quite heavily(10-12 drinks). What is the likelyhood of any serious damage to the my liver or any damage at all. If it makes any difference to the answer, my symptoms have been very mild the entire time (just a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2009
also...
I just wanted to add to my post and mention that im not a small guy. i am a football player and am 6'3" 235lbs... just thought that might be relevant to question because of the ration of quantity of alcohol to the mass of the person..
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
feel your pain man. I havent had a drink since the end of august. The doctor says that I can have 1 to 2 drinks in moderation. But whats the point. The whole point to me is to get drunk. I am seeking as many opinons as I can.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
Take milk thistle tablets (available over the counter, tons of evidence that they repair damage to your liver), stay hydrated (a glass of water per drink is absurd, but chug some gatorade), take B vitamins daily, and try not to get smashed more than a couple times a month, hard as it may be. Don't drink to the point of puking, if you can help it (which you should be able to!!). In the next day or so after indulging, feel the area just below your ribs on your right side, while lying down. Press gently but firmly. If there's any pain, swelling, or tenderness in that area (your liver) or you notice any signs of jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and/or skin) stop drinking and see your doctor. And pop those milk thistle tabs! They're a great liver restorative, I've seen them work.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
I got mono on September 22nd, when can i drink again?
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Alcohol, Mono
Wait your 235 pounds and you call 12 drinks heavy drinking SOFT!!!
|

replied May 21st, 2010
Avoid alcohol while you have mono. That's because mono and alcohol can each affect a person's liver. The two together could cause liver damage.Since you haven't been diagnosed yet, hold off on drinking alcohol.
|