Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Forum

Drinking alcohol , drug induced hepatitis

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
User Profile
Can I ever drink alcohol again and when would be a sufficient waiting time? My history is: In Oct 09 I developed drug induced hepatitis. My bilirubin, AST, and ALT were elevated for 7 months. My body had begun to reject my damaged liver. Highest my bili got was 20. I was put on prednisone, ursodiol, and 6 MP. My liver enzymes and bilirubin have been normal now for almost 4 months now. I was taken off the prednisone in July and off of the 6 MP in August. I also had a liver biopsy done in December that showed damage but no cirrhosis and showed regeneration. So now that I am off all medications and maintaining normal liver function studies does that mean my liver is back to normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2010
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A15793
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned if you can ever drink alcohol after having normal liver function tests for 4 months on being hit by drug induced hepatitis in Oct 2009.
Alcoholic persons are susceptible to drug toxicity because alcohol induces liver injury and cirrhotic changes that alter drug metabolism. Alcohol causes depletion of glutathione (hepatoprotective) stores that make the person more susceptible to toxicity by drugs. People with acute hepatitis are advised to avoid physical exertion, alcohol, paracetamol and any other hepatotoxic substances.
Once you are maintaining good and normal hepatic function after recovering from drug induced hepatitis, you might be allowed occasional drink but that is to be consulted with your personal physician as the same is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.