Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Drinking alcohol causes eye pain. Why?

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
I am a 24 year old diabetic female. Out of nowhere this year, when I drink alcohol, it hurts my eyes. It starts relatively soon after I start drinking. At first my eye gets red around the iris and starts to ache (only one eye). Sometimes, the redness and pain are very bad; this is usually accompanied by light sensitivity and my eyes might water if I look at a bright light. The aching lasts for one or two days after.

I went to an ophthalmologist after the first time because my eyes hurt incredibly bad the day after drinking. Before this, I was given Naproxen at urgent care which helped the redness and pain. The eye doctor said my eyes were perfectly healthy. His guess was that the pain was from my sinuses. Why would this cause light sensitivity? I didn't bring up that it started at the bar with alcohol, but this is always what causes it. Does anyone have any insight to what might be going on??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 26th, 2013
I have the exact same problem. It has gotten worse as I got older. doctors keep telling me it is sinus but it only comes after i drik alchol. It use to take a couple of drinks to trigger the eye aches but now only one will trigger it and mostly at night.
|
Did you find this post helpful?