Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Dr told me day 5-9 of my period and it's only 3 days long

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
I have unusual periods and wonder if this is keeping me from getting pregnant. I usually spot for about 6 days before I actually start my period then I only bleed for like 3 maybe 4 days. The spotting sometimes is kinda heavy like a period but there's not alot of blood. I'm really confused and frustrated. I've been tested and don't have PCOS. I'm now on Clomidin (sp?) to make me ovulate but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to start taking the medicine b/c my Dr told me day 5-9 of my period and it's only 3 days long. At this rate I'll never get pregnant.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2011
Menstruation Answer A24087
Hello,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Spotting or brown discharge is common to occur before actual periods. If your periods are regular, they could be suggestive of regular and periodic ovulation. The spotting occurs as uterine response to diminishing hormonal levels during the luteal phase of menstrual cycle which eventually change to active bleeding marking the start of periods.
Clomid or Clomiphene is an ovulation inducing drug given to help you have more than 1 egg mature in the cycle and get released during ovulation to increase chances of pregnancy. It should be taken as instructed. If your doctor has told you to take if between days 5-9 of cycle, then start taking it on day 5 of your cycle counting the days with day 1 as the first day of bleeding (not spotting). You generally ovulate within next 5-9 days after taking your last dose. You can consider requesting for having Follicular scan done to monitor growth of the follicles in ovary and predict the ovulation time (egg release) top help with timing your intercourse to have fruitful results. All the best.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.