Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Dr says clip didn't come off but ...

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Hello I had gall bladder out on Feb 9th. I had a JP drain in my abdomen post op for 10 days. On 8th day post-op I had severe abdominal pain but went to have drain removed on day 10. The JP drain was stuck and they found I was septic. One doc says clip came off of bile duct. Original surgeon disputes this but I had emergency ERCP and now have stent from bile duct to bowel until April 2nd. I have since developed pancreatitis and have now been off work for 5 weeks. Doc who did gall bladder says clip didn't come off but I am an anomolye and I have a leak of accessory ducts at liver. Lots of confusion but stent is beginning to hurt me and just not sure what going on. What is likelihood of stent being where I was told it is and not from liver ducts to bowel? Thanks Laurie

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2012
Gallbladder Disease Answer A32601
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that your Gall bladder surgery (Open cholecystectomy) has ended up in complications.

But the details given are incomplete to know what exactly might have happened.

In your case, complications due to biliary leakage has could have happened due to surgical or post operative issues, which has resulted in infection and obstruction of the common biliary duct, into which the pancreas drains. This can definitely result in infection and inflammation of the pancreas (Pancreatitis), which has happened in your case. In such situations it is common to place a stent within the biliary duct, to drain bile from the liver to the duodenum (proximal intestine).

The best way to know your situation would be to get a CT of the abdomen, and consult a gastroenterologist, who can clearly provide you more information on your current condition.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.