Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Douching with Hydrogen Peroxide (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi, I was just wondering If douching with Hydrogen perxoide safe if you are HIV positive. I was using full 3% peroxide for a couple of days so, I don't get any yeast infections. I read on line that it was safe to mix with water, but I used no water. After douching I started to get cramps.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper taykeith
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2009
Supporter
Douching is never a good idea because, unless you do it nearly every day it actually encourages the growth of yeast instead of preventing it. When you wash out the yeast, you wash out all the good bacteria as well and increases your chances of infection. The good bacteria/ correct pH keep the yeast growth in check.
I have never heard of douching with peroxide but I would think that if a vinegar and water douche is bad for you, a peroxide douche would not be advised.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
NOT TRUE!!!!!!
actually douching with peroxide is NOT THE SAME as douching with vinegar.. In fact douching with hydro Peroxide is the BEST douching because unlyk douching with vinagar ect peroxide doesnt wash away the good bacteria, it only washes away the bad!!!... but its probably best that you mix it with water as you would if it was a vinegar douche..
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Thank you, I've seen many topics on the web stating douching with peroxide is ok. I will take your advise. thanks again
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Douching with hydrogen peroxide
Actually, douching with peroxide is the best cleansing I've ever used. I wouldn't recommend using only hydrogen peroxide. I would dilute it with water, either half and half or 1/3 peroxide and 2/3 water at least until you figure out what you can handle without cramping or other trouble. I used to get BV on and off and yeast infections. The yeast infections were caused by the hormone in my birth control and I don't know why I could not get rid of the odor caused by BV (no matter what the doctors prescribed); it would always come back . . . UNTIL I discovered the healing properties of hydrogen peroxide. Our vagina produces this naturally, so cleansing with it is fine. Peroxide has so many healing properties that I'm sure doctors/dentists/ob-gyns and the like probably would lose money on if we all knew about it. At Planned Parenthood, the nurses did not deny that it was a good way to cleanse. Most of the ladies at the branch where I visit admitted that's what they use. Of course they'd know these things. Most of us aren't privy to that kind of information. What would happen to the medical profession if we could all heal ourselves of most common illnesses with natural solutions? Right? At 65 cents a bottle, we could do really well for ourselves. You don't want to know how much I've paid for doctors solutions before discovering 65 cent hydrogen peroxide as a vaginal health maintenance tool. If you decide to try again, dilute . . . and only do it when necessary (if you feel a yeast infection or BV coming on or after sex). I use it after oral sex, because the mouth is filled with so many unfriendly bacteria that can harm or upset the vaginal PH. Sorry this is so long. I hope this helps. I would never try to treat a symptom that I thought might be sexually transmitted with hydrogen peroxide, by the way. I only use it for maintenance and prevention. I've been told I have a very healthy, odor-free vagina. My little cleanse helps me stay healthy and maintain confidence in my sexual/vaginal health. God bless.
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2012
I get regular BV. How often should you use peroxide to douche?
how often should you use peroxide and water for douching
|

replied October 27th, 2012
BV and Hydrogen Peroxide...CURE
Hi...I looked online a.d found a Mayo Clinic study where they had a group of women use 30ccs of straight HP for 7 days preferably at night. At the end of 7 days they were clear of their BV.
I had a problem that started a few months ago and I did the rinse for 3 days and it worked great but it came back after a month or so. Im on day 5 and it is working. Gets rid of the odor after first time.
You can get 30cc syringes at most drug stores.
Good luck but its the safest treatment for BV and yeast. If you only have yeast put a probiotic capsule up there a few nights in a row..works wonders
|

replied October 27th, 2012
Hi...I looked online a.d found a Mayo Clinic study where they had a group of women use 30ccs of straight HP for 7 days preferably at night. At the end of 7 days they were clear of their BV.
I had a problem that started a few months ago and I did the rinse for 3 days and it worked great but it came back after a month or so. Im on day 5 and it is working. Gets rid of the odor after first time.
You can get 30cc syringes at most drug stores.
Good luck but its the safest treatment for BV and yeast. If you only have yeast put a probiotic capsule up there a few nights in a row..works wonders
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Hydrogen peroxide cleanses the vagina
i definityly agree that it works. I had bv but its the only thing that works for me nomatter what the doctors prescribe. it stops everythn from the smell to the yeast yu gona feel better down there. My problem is everytime after my period, the smell comes back so idk if its healthy if used over long periods of time
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Hi, I've been suffering for 3 years now and I have had oral and gel antibiotics and nether have worked... My Sexual confidence had gone to a real low, I feel embarrassed about the whole situation... Just hate it and wish it would just go away.

Today I have purchased some hydroden peroxide as I feel this is my only hope to have a normal life... Will keep you all posted on my results... Fingers crossed. Xxx
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Wow I have never heard of using it for that. I don't think I will ever try it.
|

rlstewart
It works! I suffered from bv and yeast infections for 3 years! After I heard about this I haven't been to the doctor since! It's worth a try!
|

It works! I suffered from bv and yeast infections for 3 years! After I heard about this I haven't been to the doctor since! It's worth a try!
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
Totally Agee! I has bv for around 2years n tried the peroxide last week... No signs of bv since! Clean undies after a whole day n no smell! No prescribed medications worked for me, peroxide did! Wink
|

replied May 6th, 2012
peroxide works with acidophilus rhamnosus
peroxide worked for me but also using lactobacillus rhamnosus and acidophilus as a paste(little water) and put in vagina using plastic tube from monistat box; first day and no smell, ten years suffering no more
|

replied June 19th, 2012
Im so glad to have found this, I wish I would have found it years ago
|

replied June 23rd, 2012
Its a Miracle!!!
I had ongoing yeast infections Due to medication I take and I'm happy to say that ever since I've been using just a teaspoon of Peroxide in my douche once a month I have been free from it!! It really works!!!
|

replied June 29th, 2012
This is probably the one douche I have not tried for yeast infections. Does it really work? I have chronic recurrent yeast infections for about 10 years now. I have constant discharge and a, sorry to say this, but vinegar-like odor is the best way I can describe it. I guess u could call it that yeasty bread odor. Just unusual. I guess u could say kind of like the glue we all used when we were in elementary school. Nebody else?????
|

replied July 9th, 2012
I used to have recurring yeast problems. I found diet helped as part of my problem was diet related (allergies). I do not know if this could be a portion of your problem as well. You can check out a small site I set up with info on this "yeastfreedietexplained.com".
Do not give up.
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Douching with peroxide works, but make sure you mix water with it. I didn't and it was EXTREMELY painful, my vagina almost jumped out and ran down the street..Like when Richard Pryor caught himself on fire.
|

replied October 6th, 2012
Hydrogen Peroxide opinion
I have read a lot of articles on it and it is true that Hydrogen peroxide is useful although I don't know the usefulness in regards to HIV. I am in the dental profession and although we do not recommend daily habitual use of hydrogen peroxide as a rinse, it IS in fact very useful in the control of chronic gingivitis and periodontal disease. We do not recommend home use not because it is so cheap, but because many people misuse it by using it full strength and internally, full strength is much too strong. It DOES say not to use internally, but it ALSO says that it can be used internally (oral) when diluted. Because inside both the oral cavity and vagina there is soft tissue, you do not want to over use any chemical as it will just cause more damage than good. Diluting the peroxide is much safer than full strength. Home remedies such as this have been used for many years and have worked for many women. You will not know unless you try something and for most women, prescription antibiotics either work sporadically or don't work at all.

Douching in general is not healthy for the vagina because any disruption of the PH balance and flora inside can cause other organism overgrowth like yeast infections and BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). Many people think peroxide is bad simply because it is peroxide and do not really understand its use beyond cleaning a cut. While I wouldn't drink Peroxide, I would still recommend it's use in the oral cavity which has tissue that is similar to the vaginal cavity. No they are not exactly the same, but they are very similar. Keep in mind I am in the dental field and not a GYN.

It's hard to explain but basically, inside the oral cavity and the vagina there are various microorganisms, good and bad. We all have them no matter what you do. The main culprit in both the oral and vaginal cavities for many non sexually transmitted infections are Gram Negative bacteria. They are anaerobic which means they do not like air which is why they like hiding in deep dark places like the vagina and like gingival pockets orally. Hydrogen Peroxide basically causes air bubbles to reach these places that the Gram Negative bacteria hide. That's the most basic reason Peroxide works so well in my opinion. It isn't perfect and may not work for everyone, but it certainly is worth a try if nothing else has worked for you.

I would NOT recommend douching daily or even weekly with any commercial douche, even the vinegar ones. You are better off using apple cider vinegar in your bath water (instead of bubbles or bath beads). It is always best not to over do "washing" the vagina out since it (much like the oral cavity) is self cleansing and needs most of the flora that you may wash out. Oh. And for those that think Hydrogen Peroxide will kill off the good bacteria, that is not true since the "good" bacteria generally like air and may be reduced but not eliminated.

It is also true that changing your diet can help. Many people consume way to much carbs which feed some microorganisms. I would not recommend having zero carbs, but I would recommend reducing your carbs at the same time. Many people also use yogurt to introduce the useful bacteria back into the body, but you can also just take supplements like probiotics. Acidophilus is a good probiotic to take because it will help to re-establish the "good" flora in your body.

Please research everything you have read here and online to make the best informed decision. Many healthcare professionals rely heavily on prescription medications only, so if you are not interested in taking antibiotics over and over again for the next 10 or 20 years for the same condition, I would certainly give peroxide a try. In fact, I AM!

*All of the information I have given are my opinions based on personal research and basic medical knowledge. It is not a substitute for your PCP's opinion. Remember, even a doctor's diagnosis is still an opinion based upon his/her medical knowledge, facts and research!
|

replied October 16th, 2013
thank you for that thorough explanation!
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Can I try it during menstrual period? I just want to get rid of it but I'm getting my period really soon Sad.
|

replied November 8th, 2012
Does anyone know if I can try this during my period. I really just want to get rid of this but I'm getting my perios really soon.
|

replied February 1st, 2013
I tried it while on my period and it went away!!!
|

replied February 9th, 2013
Hydrogen Peroxide douche
Well if you want to keep the BV away use the Hydrogen Peroxide about 1/2 to 1/2 water twice a day morning and afternoon for 7 days the about 1/3 peroxide to 2/3 warm water once a day no problems. I feel clean, no discharge, no odor. I will do this forever just like I shower every day if it means no more discharge, which made my life miserable. I have worn a panty liner just in case but nothing on it. Feels great!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2013
BV home remedy
People need to read their posts before "posting", because there are people who come here to really read and find a cure, and some of you are posting really helpful information. But the lack of accurate spelling, punctuation, etc makes it an even worse experience when desparately searching for a cure. The issue of BV is bad enough, and does not need to be made worse by reading and following incorrect instructions due to someone not paying attention to what they are posting. So please, everyone SLOW DOWN about giving your success stories, as there are people who are also trying to be successful in curing such a painful and embarrassing health issue. Thanks for your understanding and compassion.

With that being said, I purchased the douche bottles of water/vinegar by Equate at Walmart, and dumped out the water/vinegar. I was reasearching douche bags to make my own douche, and refused to use a douche Bag, I wanted a bottle lol. So I found that Equates disposable douche bottles were able to be opened and I could fill the bottle up with what I wanted. So I added sink water to about half the bottle, then I added 2 tablespoons of 3% hydro peroxide (also purchased at Walmart). I retwisted the applicator on the bottle, and activated the applicator as instructed per the douche box. I then laid down in the bathtub, and put my feet up and inserted the douche applicator and applied the formula fully inside my vagina. I also happened to have a mirror next to me, and was curious to see what was going on lol! I didnt feel any pain, as I read in some posts that I would. I think this is because they used too much peroxide. At any rate, sorry to be graphic, but my V started foaming and naturally spit out some of the formula. Again, not painful. After about 2 minutes of resting, I stood up and started my shower, and let the rest of the formula come out and continued on with my shower. My results were the following: instant pink color (pretty-pink might I add lol) back to my V, and not the red/raw look that it had earlier that same day, absolutely odor free (I even stuck my finger inside to see if I could maybe smell something that could have stayed inside, no odor), and the relief is Better than before I had BV. I dont think Ive ever felt this Fresh. This is just from the first night of applying this formula, and I am going to do this for the next 7 days as recommended. I am also taking one capsule of repHresh supplement, with acidophilus vitamins for the next 30 days. The relief I feel is so overwhelming, I am ready to cry. Its been a scary few months for me as far sexual issues, as I was recently forced to do something that I did not want to do. I have been tested for everything else, and thank Jesus I am negative on everything else. I hope that curing myself of this will help me finally move on with my life and put the past in the past. Thanks, and I truly hope this helps you too Surprised) Take care of you!
|

replied February 28th, 2013
I have suffered with bv for about 2 years now and i am so glad to read about women that have found such a quick simple cure! First thing tomorrow morning i will go out and buy hydrogen peroxide and douche as said. I have a question though, will the bv go away with just the hp douche or do i need to take the acidophilus pills and vitamins as well? I cant take pills Surprised
|
12 >>