Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

double hernia

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
Have got a double hernia both with me now for 10 plus years now getting annoying how long will it take to heal if I get them opperated on.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 7th, 2010
A lot of that depends on you. Your age, general health and fitness, etc. I had a double hernia surgery 4 weeks ago (inguinal / umbilical) and currently have no associated pain and discomfort at all. I am back to running 3-4 miles a day just as I was pre-surgery.

What type of hernias do you have? If you are having a double inguinal, I would imagine you are looking at being pretty uncomfortable for the first few days.

Things that helped me were: (1) ICE for 48 hours. (2) Walking after the first 48 hours - 20 minutes twice a day even if I was barely moving along at a snails pace. After walking I would ice the area down. It was REALLY hard to do the first couple days but the next day improvement would be remarkable. (3) Get regular! Eat a good high fiber diet before your surgery. Ask your doctor about a good mild stool softener you can use. You will need it TRUST ME - "pushing" is not an option for several days. (4) If you do not have a good recliner, buy or borrow one. It will be your best friend for about 3-4 days. Sleeping in a bed is difficult. (5) Do everything possible to avoid sneezing our coughing - OUCH...
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: hernia
Quick Reply