Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

Doing atkins and plyometrics but gaining wait

I have been doing atkins for 3 weeks. The 1st week I just followed the diet and lost 6lb's. Then I started plyometrics the 2nd week and gained 4 back. The 3rd week I gained another 2lb's. I'll say my pants are losser but is it possible to be putting on muscle? I'm following atkins and have not cheated. I'm not even drinking soda, just water and green tea. Can anyone give me some answers?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2011
A few things come to mind that can reasonably be expected to be your problem given you're in otherwise normal health (e.g. no hormone, thyroid, or other metabolism altering conditions, etc.)

First, if you're consuming more calories than you're burning, it doesn't matter what you eat, you'll still gain weight. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs, and were eating about 2000 calories a day when you were losing weight, and as soon as you started Atkins your calorie intake spiked to 2600 of pure protein, but your daily burn of calories, including exercise, only burned 500 calories, then you would gain weight. This would occur even if you were on Atkins and made a calorie increase adjustment while on Atkins.

Second, the opposite of the above can slow your metabolism to a crawl. If you're starving yourself, your body goes into protection mode, holding on to all of your stored body fat by slowing down the metabolism. A slow metabolism isn't good if you're trying to lose weight obviously. Make sure you're eating enough to account for both your workout, and your daily activity.

The third, it may easily be as you say and you gained lean muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, and with a high protein diet, muscle can build easier. I'm aware that the p90X has muscle building days incorporated into its workouts. If in fact you're doing more than just the Plyometrics segment, and following the entire p90X program, it's quite easy to replace fat with heavy muscle.

My advice would be to keep your calories at about your body weight x 10, and eat it in several small meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 large meals. Stick to your workouts, while trying to avoid too many bad fats or salty foods, and get a full nights rest. Do those things consistently and I think you'll see the weight come down.
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
r u male,
had to look up your plyometrics and if what u want is to loose weight, stick with the atkins and skip the excercise for the time being;
. and contrary to what people will tell u; facts r u can eat a mountain of calories and loose weight if what u eat is only protein and fat, REASON is simple your body will simple take the shortest course to energy and that is to burn the fat u have stored and all those calories will exit your body.
so what exactly r u eating; in detail?
|