Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Dog - treated for fleas but still scratches

User Profile
My dog Roxy is on once a month Advantage, the one in the little tubes. I do notice every time I go to my mom's house she gets fleas from being outside for potty breaks even though she's on treatment.

Can she still have fleas even after just being treated for it (i treated her when i got back home) or does she just have irritate skin that causes her to scratch. She scratching through the night and I can sleep with her noise so I have to put her in her cage because it seems as if the scratching keeps her up. I'm not sure what this could be. I also notice what seems to look like dandruff but not a lot of it. I try bathing her once a week but sometimes it ends up being 1 every two weeks with my schedule.

Is there something i can use to help her stop itching so much?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
What an adorable name, my daughters Blue Heeler mix is named Roxy and she is a hoot...(dog that is Smile)

I know for people, oatmeal bath works...

She probably has dry skin, unsure what breed of dog you have, as some do have skin conditions and there are some which are allergic to fleas.

I believe they sell over the counter dog shampoo for dry or irritated skin.

~Zig

P.S. Maybe cornstarch (very lightly rubbed in her coat) may ease the itching for the time being....
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2008
Supporter
Roxy is a mix breed Rat Terrier. I'm not sure with what but her previous owner told me a Poodle and Chihuahua. (I didn't think so much of a Poodle. The vet told me Rat Terrier. She has medium length hair. As I type she is stratching. I will run to the store after church and see what I can find.

this is Roxy she's 2 1/2

|

replied September 26th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Awe too cute! How soon prior to/after after a bath are you applying medicine? Even when you do not see any fleas, is she still itching? If so you may want to consider switching to an organic food, like Nutro, or contacting your vet for allergy testing.
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2008
Community Volunteer
How adorable and it appears she is the remote control protector Smile

I do hope she gets better....

~Zig
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2008
Supporter
I tried this shampoo that's for itching and dry skin and so far she haven't been itching as much. I'm gonna start using it once a week on her and see how it does. If it continues I'll have to take her to the vet like lele25 suggested.

Thanks for your responses and comments!
|

replied October 4th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Has she gotten any better? She's so cute !
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Supporter
no it's been pretty much the same. Last time she had this kind of itching was when she the vet said she had flea problems but she's on treatment for it so idk what it could be. after i use that shampoo she's good for a few days then it starts again.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
My vet said to me when we were dealing with recurrences of fleas that the fleas build up immunity to the flea meds. Try switching meds.

Also, boiled grapefruits let to seep in water for a few hours is effective at killing fleas. A ph acidity also prohibits them from growing; we bathe our dogs in apple cider vinegar about 70/30 with water, and put a couple tablespoons in their water as well.
|
Users who thank Birch for this post: love_pinkish 

User Profile
Supporter
wow thanks Birch! Can apple cider vinegar be purchased at a grocery store?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
It absolutely can. It's kept with the regular vinegar. Market Basket on Ryan Street carries it for sure. Wink
|
Users who thank AyaMiyaki for this post: love_pinkish 

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Be sure to get the organic kind. kiss
|

User Profile
replied October 7th, 2008
Supporter
Thanks again! I'm going to go pick some up today!
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2009
Supporter
My dogs vet recommended advatage multi for dogs. It's for heartworm prevention and fleas. it works well.
|

replied November 1st, 2009
cute pooch.
but i heard that it isnt necessarily good to bathe dogs too much. they have natural oils on thir skin that their coat needs. and actually bathing them TOO much can irritate their skin and dry it out. if you do bathe her, try a natural/organic oatmeal treatment and you should only bathe a dog once a month. clean the ears weekly as this can make the dog stink more so than their actual fur. hope she gets better :]
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Experienced User
That dog is cute and either is a silk or a Yorkie for sure.
As for itching, if there are no other fleas in the home because you have bug bommed then it could be mange (which you will have to ask Vet for medicine shampoo for ) or it could just be allergies. I had a dog I had to have the Vet give him allergy pills (bennadril) to stop the scratching 2 times a year.
I also have a cat that has really dry shin. I put olive oil on a pet comb and brush his hair to get the oil onto the shin. This is a great relief to my cat and usually lasts a while.
Good Luck,
bamm
|

replied August 19th, 2011
Itchy / SAD Dog ?
If the ITCH is Still There ...

and it is not Fleas ...

85% Itchy DOGs = Allergy to Pollens, Mites & Molds.

Say GoodBye to Allergy SHOT Ouch 1
Say Hello to 100% Natural, PET Friendly Sublingual Doggy GOO !

Veterinary Dermatologist Formulated

Lick UP the GOO !
|

replied April 24th, 2012
I want to buy a coat for my puppy for .It is good for my puppy's Skin?And they offer me a coupon
|

replied October 15th, 2012
That is a serious problem. Now that she had treatment its very less likely to be due to fleas but still we can't say. Fleas catch up anytime anywhere. Have a thorough check up of her to ensure.
|