Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Does Schizophrenia Cause the Brain to Deteriorate

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
Does Schizophrenia Cause the Brain to Deteriorate?
Someone told me that schizophrenia causes a person's brain to waste away. I want to know what everyone thinks about that and how true and valid that is. Thank you.

Read more: Schizophrenia Forum - Does Schizophrenia cause the brain to deteriorate? http://ehealthforum.com/health/does-schizo phrenia-cause-the-brain-to-deteriorate-t29 4430.html#ixzz1TIDfZwsF

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
Schizophrenia Answer A25658
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. Schizophrenia can cause nerve damage and disconnections in the pathways that carry brain chemicals. Tests had proved that blood flow was lower in frontal regions in schizophrenic patients but now some studies have found the hippocampus, limbic system and amygdala to be reduced in volume.

However medications used for schizophrenia can also cause brain shrinkage over time. So whether there is any wasting away of the brain or not is still under research.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.