Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Does my boyfriend have schizophrenia?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello Doc, I'm a 28 yr old woman. I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend (hes 27 yrs old) for about 4.5 years. The last 2 years in the relationship he began showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia. This was also around the time he finished his bachelors in Accounting. He went from being an all around athletic, popular guy to a very timid almost antisocial I would say. He began hearing weird voices in his head, trouble juggling activities (work, school etc), & very forgetful more than the usual.
He also shared with me that he felt like if someone was after him for no apparent reason.

He's never violent instead he became extremely sensitive & clingy with his family and I. This behavior would intensify around the winter months but around the summer time he was his old self again. He would also do this weird eye rolling movement whenever he felt stressed..I never understood it but he told me it made his headaches go away whenever he did that with his eyes.

I guess its safe to say that the best moments in our relationship has been in the summer. He was himself again, outgoing, not paranoid, no eye rolling, social....the man I fell in love with.

Recently he was doing okay, we were just starting to plan out our future until he found out they were laying him off from work. Immediately the anxiety and paranoia kicked in. He began to say they are plotting against him. Which was so irrational. His parents hospitalized him last night in hopes for a psych to see him. Could this be a mild schizophrenia? Could he live a normal life with some slight meds? Am I risking my life by being with him? I mean I read so many horror stories online that made me worry. Yet my boyfriend would never hurt anybody, he's the most loving sensitive, spiritual person I've ever met. I just don't get how this could happen to some one...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
You know, it's truely debatable whether or not people like you are being plotted against.

The mistake we made was thinking that it was normal for some of these things to happen.

As if you've been robbed of everything really.

And I would most certainly say that robbing is a form of plotting wouldn't you?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2012
This would be a good time to consult a doctor and tell him your boyfriend's symptoms. Before I was prescribed the proper medicine, I often had a feeling as if I was being chased by somebody or that somebody was trying to kill me. I still occasionally have these thoughts but my psychiatrist is hesitant to diagnose me with SZ because I don't have any auditory or visual hallucinations. (aka voices)
|
Users who thank AJTheMan for this post: Jazz001 

replied February 6th, 2012
Thanks for responding guys. He is currently seeking help. Looks like it's not as bad as we all thought it would be. Things definitely would've worsen had he not gone to see a psych. This site is very helpful. I'm glad I joined.
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2012
Experienced User
Glad to hear he's getting help.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
Thanks Ozy, they prescribed him an anti hallucination drug to balance out the chemicals...very low dosage. He's still a bit fearful especially in his own neighborhood, its really weird but he waaaaaay more calmer (body language etc). But then again its hasn't even been 48 hrs since he took the meds. I imagine in a month we'll see much more of a obvious results. The recovery takes time I see.
|