Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Does medroxyprogesterone^ 10mg prevent ovulation? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
I read a lot about medroxyprogesterone my doctor gave it to me due to spotting in between periods and bleeding during and after sex. He stated it wasn't a birth control pill and for me to check to see if i was pregnant every month before I started taking the med ever month.

I asked my doctor doctor if this med would help me ovulate and he said once i lost a couple of pounds I would start to ovulate, but I have read that this medication can prevent ovulation, and my husban and I are trying to concive. inlove rainbow

what I was wondering does medroxyprogesterone prevent ovulation? Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper colelovechan
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Experienced User
PREGNANCY: Medroxyprogesterone prevents fertility at high doses. It should not be given during pregnancy.

|

replied April 1st, 2009
what dosage is high enough to stop ovulation using medroxyproges
so what is the highest dosage that prevents ovulation?
|

replied May 17th, 2009
why?
my doctor gave me this medication to start my period because they are irregular. yesterday was my last day for the pill but i have not started yet, why? they gave me this medication so that i could start taking my fertility pills so that my husband i and i could conceive.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
I finished my medroxyprogesterone and Im having cramping but no period yet. What shall I do ????
|

replied June 8th, 2009
my doctor gave me this medication to regulate my period as well. I started the 1st of April and experienced spotting, but still had a normal period. May was a normal period month as well and i was excited because its been a long time since i had a normal period. However, it is June and i have not seen my period and i am taking my pills and is on day 8 of them. was never told to take a pregnancy before taking the pills every month. Now i don't know what to do.
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Same with me they never told me to take a pregnancy test before taking the meds. My husband and I have not used any protection for 9 years and we were hoping for one more baby but then I started having problems with my period and also I have a thicker lining than I should so she put me on Medroxyprogesterone for 10 days and that is it I dont have to take it monthly. But noticed I have bad cramping in front and in my lower back did you notice these things as well? No spotting or bleeding yet should there be? I thought there was suppose to be.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Medroxyprogesterone
My doctor also pput me on those pills to regulate my period. When do you begin to ovulate after taking those pills?
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Medroxyprogesterone
I just want a no or yes answer on Medroxyprogesterone
|

replied August 13th, 2009
where you pregnant when taking Medroxyprogesterone
ladytamika wrote:
my doctor gave me this medication to regulate my period as well. I started the 1st of April and experienced spotting, but still had a normal period. May was a normal period month as well and i was excited because its been a long time since i had a normal period. However, it is June and i have not seen my period and i am taking my pills and is on day 8 of them. was never told to take a pregnancy before taking the pills every month. Now i don't know what to do.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
Medroxyprogesterone
This medication is usually given to women that have irregular periods; a heavy flow, or no flow at all. It causes you to have your period. So NO it does not cause ovulation, but your body may just be different and decide to ovulate anyway. If you ask your pharmacist they can help you. You begin ovulation usually around day 14 of your period; day 1 is the day your period begins. You may see spotting while taking the pills but shouldn't recieve your period until after day 10 of taking them; when you are done. Then your period may not come for a few more days up to 10 days. Does this help?
|

replied May 5th, 2010
trying to conceive?
my doctor just put me on this today. me and my husband are trying to conceive...will it mess our chances up on trying to conceive? we are trying to get pregnant by the end of july, thats when he leaves for iraq...please help me!
|

replied June 4th, 2012
Progesterone, Ovulation, Clomid
This medication causes you to have your period several days after stopping the pills. Usually you then ovulate on day 14 (day 1 being first day of bleeding). It is recommended to have sex EVERY OTHER DAY (to increase sperm count) from day 12 to day 20. If you want to make extra sure, buy a ovulation test kit (about $20 at walmart). You pee on a stick every day (day 12 to 20) and it tells you if your ovaries have released an egg. Also, your OB/GYN can give you a prescription for Clomid, which stimulates ovaries to release eggs (also increases chance of multiple eggs =twins, triplets).

I just went through this 2 years ago with my man going to Afghanistan - got pregnant right before he left and he made it back 2 weeks before our girl was born. Good Luck!
|

replied July 12th, 2010
I also have terrible irregular periods and my doctor put me on the medroxyprogesterone 10mg to induce my periods. I started my pills on June 11, 2010 and got my period on June 24, 2010 and then July came and on July 11, 2010 I also got my period. I figured that the pills would put me on a regular schedule and not a mixed one. My husband and I are also trying to conceive and still nothing! It is driving me insane! I do not know what to do! Did you guys have any luck?
|

replied September 7th, 2010
medroxyprogesterone
my doctor also put me on the pill an i still have no luck
|

replied October 5th, 2010
Re: Medroxyprogesterone
colelovechan wrote:
This medication is usually given to women that have irregular periods; a heavy flow, or no flow at all. It causes you to have your period. So NO it does not cause ovulation, but your body may just be different and decide to ovulate anyway. If you ask your pharmacist they can help you. You begin ovulation usually around day 14 of your period; day 1 is the day your period begins. You may see spotting while taking the pills but shouldn't recieve your period until after day 10 of taking them; when you are done. Then your period may not come for a few more days up to 10 days. Does this help?

hello
i was given 8 tablets of medroxyprogesterone and its been almost 10 days i havent got my period.is that normal??im getting worried.
|

replied October 11th, 2010
My Dr. gave me 10 tables and I finish it. I still haven't get my period yet. What should I do. I din't have my period for 3 months and I took a pregantcy test, it negative. What can i do....
|

replied January 19th, 2013
I was put on the medication to stop heavy bleeding after my pregnancy. It's been three months now and nothing. I've taken two pregnancy tests, both negative. Anyone have any idea if this is normal? I'm torn between calling the doctor and waiting I see if it fixes itself..
|

replied November 15th, 2010
Medroxyporgesteron worries:)
Well ladies, you guys are giving me some pros and cons about this medicine. Today will be the first day I will be taking Medroxyprogesterone. Hoping that the medicine will help bring down my period. For years,my cycle has been normal,and I just decided to stop taking my birth control of ten years one month ago. My cycle was suppos to be on Oct. 30....its been 15 day later, no cycle. So, my doctor suggested this medicine, but now Im skepticial because my husband and I are looking forward of becoming parents really soon. If this medicine is gonna stop ovaulation, I dont want it.
|

replied November 27th, 2010
medroxyprogersterone
Hey ladies.
my doctor als put me on medroxyprogesterone 5 tablets for for 5 days. Iam now ont he 3rd day still no bleeding yet.. but im sure there will be soon,. i have the faith i have gone 4 months without a period and it would be great for me to see so that i can start to take my clomid! i wish all of you ladies the best of luck..... baby dust to us all!!!!
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Im done taking meeddroxyprogesterone,and i havent got my period yet im worry , we want to have a baby, and i haven got a period at 3months, wht should i do now take them again, and do they really work help please!!!!
|

replied July 7th, 2011
10 mg ofmedroxyprogesterone for 10 days and still no period
I have taken medroxyprogesterone 10 mg for 10 days because I haven't had my period in 1 year and 5 months. It is the day after I've finished the prescription and still no period. Hopefully I will receive it soon. They say it can take up to 10 days to get it after you stop the pills. Good Luck Right?
|

replied July 7th, 2011
I have taken medroxyprogesterone 10 mg for 10 days because I haven't had my period in 1 year and 5 months. It is the day after I've finished the prescription and still no period. Hopefully I will receive it soon. They say it can take up to 10 days to get it after you stop the pills. GOod Luck Right?
|
12 >>