Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Community Chat Forum

Does God still love me? (Page 1)

I have been wandering does god still love me even though my sexuality dissagrees with him. So many people tell me that he hates me and im going to hell? what do all of you think/believe about religion?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I believe in GOD but I do not believe in religion..it splinters people and is confusing.

God Loves Gay People

by R.P. Nettelhorst

There are those who argue that God hates sinners. They have a collection of verses that they like to use, most notably: Psalm 5:5-6, 11:5; Lev. 20:23, 20:13, 26:30; Deut. 32:19; Mal. 1:3 and Rom. 9:13. The fundamental problem with the use being made of these verses is that every last one of them is being taken out of context, both their specific context in place, as well as the broader context of the biblical revelation.
The Grand Unified Theory (GUT) of Bible interpretation is twofold: love of God and love of people.

Matthew 22:34-40 reads:

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (see the parallel account in Mark 12:28-34)

Paul writes in Romans 13:8-10:

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Or Galatians 5:14:

The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

And finally James 2:8:

If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.

Any interpretation of the Bible which results in a conclusion contrary to this basic tenant of love is necessarily wrong. No ifs, no ands, no buts. Thus, to suggest that God hates, rather than loves sinners, creates an absurdity: a contradiction with the very theme of the Bible, as well as some very explicit verses, the most basic being Romans 5:5-8:

And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

One should also consider 1 John 4:19-21:

We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

Thus, the interpretation that God hates sinners, or that he desires to see bad things happen to them, simply is an untenable interpretation of the verses used by the hate groups.
Some will try to tell me, I suppose, that we are only supposed to love our brother, and who is, our brother, anyhow, but only those who believe like us. I would suggest that those who would react like that are exactly like the expert who, in response to Jesus' suggestion that he should love his neighbor asked "who is my neighbor." Let's look at the story in Luke 10:25-37:

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

The problem for us moderns is that Jesus' story of the good Samaritan doesn't really resonate with us. What is a Samaritan, anyhow? To put it simply, Samaritans were apostates from Judaism. They were the result of mixed marriages between Jews and pagan idolaters who had moved into Palestine during the period of the Babylonian captivity. Thus, they were worshiping falsely and were considered significant sinners by definition according to the religious establishment in Jerusalem. Thus, they were one of the most despised groups around, according to the religious establishment.
So let's update things. If Jesus were asked the same question today, his response would be to tell the story of how a Baptist preacher and a famous televangelist ignored the rape victim in the gutter, in contrast to the good gay, black transvestite from San Francisco who helped her.
If Christians are going to hate the gay community, then they need to be consistent and hate the liars, the backbiters, the gossips, and the hypocrites, too. Maybe put up a few pickets around the neighborhood supermarket that caters to all those gluttons.
Maybe I just don't get it. Jesus died for sinners. All of us are sinners, and that's what we'll all be -- every last one of us -- till the day we die. Are certain sinners irredeemable? Whosoever will may come, but wait, if you're gay, you've got to clean up your act first? Since when has the church become an exclusive club? Are we supposed to have bouncers at the door making sure everyone has a tie and that they're "the right sort of people" before we let them in?
Maybe I just don't understand the gospel and the mission of the church. But I don't think so. I think it's the haters that just don't get it.

__________________________________________ _______________

"Take my hand and lead me to salvation. Take my love…for Love is everlasting. And remember, the truth that once was spoken…to love another is to see the face of God."

This quote was taken from Les Miserable. How can such honest truth about Love be found in such unconventional places? The answer is quite simple: God is much more than you realize and He can speak to each of us so personally and so deeply that this world, the societies in it, the cultures in it, the religion in it, and all the great knowledge we think we have in science, cannot even begin to grasp this seemingly small thing called love.

God can speak to our hearts, to our minds and to our souls with love and truth because it is the essence of the supernatural being which resides in each of us. Yes, the human soul. You are an everlasting creation. Let us not debate about God or about Love, for God is love. Let us not debate or give credibility to religions who would condemn this web site, because God is not religious. Let us cast aside our fears to love, for love is not a sin. To love one another with endless and boundless passion is the nature of our soul.

Let us not argue or quarrel over definitions or expectations or even societal pressures of conformity. Let us not doubt in the most important and divine gift we each have within us to share with others…the ability to love. In this, the weak will eventually confound the strong. Love is not something which is to be judged or shamed or scored. Love is not something deserving to be hidden or denied or kept secret. Love is open. Love is boundless. Love is blameless. And, my family, love is miracle to be shared and to be treasured.

There is no difference between the love a gay person feels, and the love a straight person feels. There is no difference in our needs to be loved, to be touched, and to feel whole. With this being known, let us move forward and embrace diversity and understanding - realizing in our hearts and minds that our capacity to love is something which transcends sexual orientation.

__________________________________________ ____________

Remember the Bible says a lot of strange things...not only about homosexuality ....
Some of the Strange Laws in the Bible

The inspiration for this section originates with Christians and Christian groups using the Bible to justify horrible actions, most notable in recent years has been gay bashing. Rev. Fred Phelps protests any people who support gays, as well as homosexual funerals with colorful signs reading "God Hates Fa**" or "Burn in Hell F**!!!". Dr. Laura, a disgustingly boring radio personality, as well as failed TV personality... not to mention a bad source of advice, also uses the Bible to justify her dislike of homosexuals. The Ku Klux Klan uses the Bible to justify their actions, as well as abortion clinic bombers, mail bombers, and dictators/tyrants throughout history. But what does the Bible really say about things like this? How does the Bible expect us to act? Let us find out.

Homosexuals MUST DIE!!!

The killing of homosexuals is condoned and encouraged in the wonderful laws of Leviticus. Leviticus 20:13 clearly states "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Well there you have it, Homosexuality is wrong, and they must pay the ultimate price... IN THE NAME OF GOD!!!

Who else shouldn't people do?

Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)

Don't have a variety of crops on the same field. (Leviticus 19:19)

Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)

Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)

Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed. (Leviticus 20:9) Have you ever done that?

If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die. (Leviticus 20:10). I wonder if Dr. Laura would like that one to be enforced?

If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death. (Leviticus 20:11)

If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death. (Leviticus 20:14)

If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed. (Leviticus 20:15-16). I guess you should kill the animal since they were willing participants. Are they crazy?

If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:1Cool

Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death. (Leviticus 20:27)

If a priest's daughter is a prostitute, she is to be burnt at the stake. (Leviticus 21:9)

People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-1Cool

Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community. (Leviticus 24:14-16)

Don't let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle (Leviticus 19:19)

One must wonder why there are so many people wanting to site Leviticus for gay bashing, but they never mention these rules. How strange. It is common that a Christian will blow off these old rules with "Jesus came to change the laws, so these are outmoded, and we don't need them", but throughout Leviticus God states that these laws are to be followed forever. Hmmm.

The Ten Commandments

The Ten Commandments are very famous examples of Biblical rules, but it can be amazing how few people know what's included in them. Let's recap.

1. You are to have no other gods before God

2. You are not to make any graven images.

3. Don't use the Lord's name in vain

4. Keep the Sabbath holy

5. Honor your mother and father

6. Do not kill

7. Do not commit adultery.

8. Don't steal

9. Don't bear false witness.

10. Don't covet the neighbor's house.

Here are some things you may not know were included within the commandments.

People seem to think the second commandment says you aren't supposed to make a graven image of God, and that's it. But you are not to make any graven images of anything in heaven, in the earth, or in the water. This would include no graven images of fish, moles, worms, birds, shrimp, ants, and all sorts of things. One must wonder why God was so worried about these things that he felt the need to put these ahead of murder and stealing.

In the third commandment, people think that means we shouldn't work, but just go to church on the Sabbath. But NOBODY is to do any work, including your employees, your cattle, nor anyone who is visiting you.

While you are not coveting your neighbor's house, also refrain from coveting other things he owns, like his wife, ass, and ox.

The Often Overlooked Rules in Deuteronomy

The book Deuteronomy also lays some laws down, but nobody ever mentions them, but why not take a look at those laws also?

Anyone who dreams or prophesizes anything that is against God, or anyone who tries to turn you from God, is to be put to death. (Deuteronomy 13:5)

If anyone, even your own family suggests worshipping another God, kill them. (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)

If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it's inhabitants... even the animals. (Deuteronomy 13:12-15)

Kill anyone with a different religion. (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

This shows you that it really is scary that people want to make the Bible part of the law. Not to mention it sheds light on why Christians are so overly oppressive to those who don't share their belief. Sick, sick, sick. It can also be said that any person who uses the Bible to justify beating a homosexual, is a hypocrite if he doesn't adhere to all of these laws.

Chill out and LOVE yourself as GOD loves you...he made us all..even us GLBT people.Smile
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Levitical law is virtually impossible to follow without ending up in a padded room. And I mean seriously requiring you to murder people regularly for their offenses. It is a code that was barbaric at best in its time and now is unthinkable. No Christian is faithful to it. It is meaningless to modern living.

A lot of Christian Homophobes like to point at Romans1 when they want to tell you you are evil and going to Hell. There are other passages that allude to homosexual acts but they require you to interpret them in a particular manner. Leviticus and Romans1 are really the only places where homosexual acts are spelled out.

Quote:
24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."

It's damning but realize that this passage at large is about letting sin take you away from the goodness of your life, not about specific behavior. The passage includes all manner of lustful acts and is the origin of the Moral Sin of Lust. The real irony is the passage that follows IMMEDIATELY after Romans1 32.

Quote:
"1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?"

I don't see much room for interpretation there. Anyone who tells you that you're going to hell or that god hates you is tempting God's wrath. No Christian has a right to judge you. Only God does. You can't find many chapters of the bible that don't remind you that God loves all of his children, you were born the person you are and that is how God made you. It's silly to think he wanted you to be another way.
Read the bible, think on the times that it was written and avoid letting pedagogues try to tell you things that you know can't be true.
|
Users who thank W0LF for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2010
Supporter
Most people contradict themselves. I am a sinner and the bible speaks about how i shouldnt judge anyone because i have sins.My sin is fornication, whether ive been with my partner for 3 years or not we are not married.
Even if i was married Christians are to believe that if they worry, it is a sin because your not trusting God to handle your problems. So we sin without thinking, that's why i ask God to forgive me everyday.
So as a sinner (me) how is it i am sure God loves me and your not sure he loves you.

Stay away from people who spew out contradictions and judgments. Only God knows your heart!!!
|
Users who thank starship33 for this post: homerx 

replied January 10th, 2010
I don't know if theres a god or not, and I don't know what to believe...
But don't listen to those people. God loves EVERYONE!
If you believe in the bible, just know that atleast a couple things aren't true.
God loves everybody, and gays don't go to hell.
|
Users who thank Vexaroni for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
Community Volunteer
ServiceU wrote:

Stay away from people who spew out contradictions and judgments. Only God knows your heart!!!
very good advise...stay away from the haters and judgers and know who you are in your heart. voices
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Vexaroni wrote:
I don't know if theres a god or not, and I don't know what to believe...
But don't listen to those people. God loves EVERYONE!
If you believe in the bible, just know that atleast a couple things aren't true.
God loves everybody, and gays don't go to hell.
Im kind of there as well.I have no idea what to believe but I do believe in myself and as long as I am a good person and dont kill or steal or lie or try to hurt any one then I will be fine.I do believe in karma...and God..well, my idea of God is my own.....and I believe that God believes in me!
|

replied January 16th, 2010
Experienced User
Thanks so i simply have to ignore those people
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2010
Community Volunteer
ilovelatinclass wrote:
Thanks so i simply have to ignore those people
YES! Ignore them,its that EZ...hay,they are not you and if they were TRUE Christians they wouldn't be casting stones and judging others so ignore them and love yourself and your partner rainbowflag voices rainbowflag voices rainbow
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2010
Supporter
God loves you honey..Only you know your heart..Faith is what carries us through not judging or ridicule..Whether or not a person agrees with your sexuality is not your problem, it is the other persons problem..
There are those that call themselves christians and hurt what a true christian person is..But, think of this--A person that throws the stone better be free of sin or they are judging and in my book there is only one can do that and that is God..
Is God real-yes..He is as real as the air you breathe and the beauty in the sky, the grass that turns green and the flowers he gives us to dress our lawns with even more beauty..Is he real-reading the bible there are alot of begats-beginnings and that begins with Adam and Eve-how did they get on earth if not by God? We began as humans and are humans to love or not..Do what you know and feel is right in your heart then trust your heart..God will deal with you as he deals with each of us on his terms not man or woman...k
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
By what right do these think they have using gods name in vain. I don't believe in religion but I do believe that one should be able to think and act a certain way as long as it is not harmful to another being.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated, my golden rule as an atheist! If someone trash talks you tell them off and tell them that it is a sin to use gods name in vain or that no sin is greater than another. All humans sin!
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
It's debateable whether or not he ever loved any of us. This just isn't a loving creation, these bodies just couldn't be made by a good loving dude. I suppose if it's ok for us to suffer greatly and die in the millions of different horrible ways for someone to die, then I suppose it's possible, but it isn't ok is it? You just can't be good and make us to, not possible, and you can't be good and make the devil either can you?

It's better to ask, do you love god, and why would you?
I think that most people only say that out of fear any way. It's simple in my case, he absolutely screwed me, so now I have nothing to fear.

The golden rule doesn't always work out does it? It only works if you are a good person, why would it be ok for a bunch of unknowing bad people that don't do good to go by that rule, like the greedy for instance, they say I want everything, to much even, so could they sanely go by the golden rule? I think not.

I really hate to break it to everyone, ritual human sacrifice isn't good, you all seem to think that you are capable and absolutely responsible for every little thing that you do wrong, so why is it ok for some perfect guy to pay for everything that you've done wrong, malarchy I say! Not only that if a good, just, loving god were to punish all of you, or thats to say, make you pay for your sin, then it wouldn't bloody likely be for freaking eternity would it?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you don't have free will, everything that will so called choose, or simply do, even within, can be seen before it happens, even more simply, which is so much more fun, there is no fork in the road.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Experienced User
woops,
I love how simply straight forward you are. Seriously i do. It would be a lot better if people were more straight forward, and just told it how it was.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
The short answer is yes, God (Jehova, Alah, what have you) loves you.
I dont know much about the Bible or any other holy book. The most serious research I've ever made is a bit of dabbling into pagan studies, especially the Norse gods. I didnt even pay attention in Sunday School. I did, however, do some research around the whole "God hates gays" shtick. So I'm not gonna go quoting scipture. But what I will tell you is this:
God loves. Without exception. This what I was raised to believe. God loves everyone, regardless of sin. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that God hates ANYONE. It DOES state that homosexuality is a sin. But almost everything you do is a sin. Sneaking out to see your girlfriend/boyfriend is a sin ("Honor thy Father and thy Mother"). Wanting something is a sin ("Though shalt not Covet"). Overeating, being lazy or wanting to get laid are all sins (Gluttony, Sloth and Lust, respectfully). Everyone sins, even the political bigwigs who are against gay marriage (Pride, anyone?) But the kicker in all this is that ALL sins, no matter how heinous, are forgiven. So dont worry too much about it. The best we can do in life is live with PLUR: Peace, Love, Unity and Respect, for all those around us. Do what seems to be the right thing, follow your gut, and everything should work out alright.

An interesting side note: the Bible states that to lay with another of the same sex (ie, to have sex with them) is a sin, but, to the best of my knowledge, nowhere does it state that gay MARRIAGE is a sin. So I guess the time-worn excuse of all these conservative politicians who want to ban gay marriage is out the window, huh?

PLUR everybody. ilovelatinclass, I hope everything works out for you. *hugs all*
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
tagnikzur wrote:
Everyone sins, even the political bigwigs who are against gay marriage (Pride, anyone?)

The more ironic sin that most anti-gay legislators tend to end up committing is homosexuality. I'd strongly advise against following the rhetoric of your political leaders when it comes to your sexuality, or for that matter, religion, family or patriotism.. It's pretty clear even they don't practice what they preach.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
Love of God
Yes God loved us so much that his only son died for our sins. Homosexuality is a sin, We all have sinned and fallen short in some way. I would pray to God ask him to help you turn away from this sin and to forgive you for all the sins you have committed ask to be filled with his Holy Spirit. You can't stop sinning with out his help.
|

replied May 23rd, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Sweetjoy
What religion is it that considers being homosexual or engaging in homosexuality a sin?
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Experienced User
Nevermind I don't need god
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Good for you, ilovelatinclass! Cast away the crutch of religion ^.^

And W0lf, while Sweetjoy's comment reeks of anti-gay sympathies based upon religious ideals, it does state in the Bible (Old Testament, I believe) that homosexuality (specifically homosexual sex) is a sin.
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
It's not Anger, Envy, gluttony, greed, lust, pride, or sloth. However if you want to be heterosexual it could be considered Envy, a deadly sin. It is not an immortal sin, however claiming it is a sin arguably is. It is not a mortal sin. It does not fall under the category of original sin, it in fact protects people from it. It is not listed among the Venal sins. Each version of the bible in different wording makes reference that homosexual sex between men is not acceptable and against biblical law, much like performing card tricks or Permitting Egyptians to enter a church. It is in fact an Abomination in Leviticus, a serious offense tantamount to being uncircumcised if you are a male, Being mentally handicapped, or a shellfish! . Bible doesn't mince words about what is and is not a sin and the term "Sin" is never mentioned in conjunction to a reference to homosexuality.

Female homosexuality isn't even referenced in the Old Testament. Before the epoch of Christianity nobody really figured it mattered if a woman wanted to have sex with a man or not.

I'm going to say something that a some Christians may not like, but it doesn't make it any less true. It is not challenging to find a biblical verse that supports any argument you have, however there is no argument that being homosexual is more of a sin than being heterosexual.
|
12 >>
Tags: sexuality
Quick Reply