Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Do typical diets provide the RDA of vitamins and minerals?

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
A recent claim made by a BBC programme:

"A study by the Food Standards Agency recently showed that the average Briton gets all their recommended daily allowance of every dietary vitamin from their normal food and drink."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dgd9c/f eatures/supplements

Is this claim accurate? (i.e. does research in general, or this paricular study, support this claim.)

Would it also apply to minerals?

Can anyone reference the study in question?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2013
Experienced User
Possibly.

If a person is eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, with quality meats, it is possible to get everything we need from food.

Except:
Our foods are lacking nutrients because of factory farming.
Factory farm foods are shown to be higher in toxic residues, leading to higher disease.
Disease increases our need for nutrients.
Processed foods are nearly devoid in any usable nutrients.

If your metabolism is not working properly, you are sick, you need medication, you have a family history of disease, then you may need additional supplementation. Seek out a nutritionist to determine what works best for you.
|

replied December 7th, 2013
Can't agree more with ChristinaMajor
|

replied March 20th, 2014
I use 'Wholesome' iPhone app to determine if I'm getting enough vitamins and minerals but its based on the US recommendations.
|