Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Do I tell my boyfriend?

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I had an active eating disorder (purging) for about three years, but was finally able to mostly control my behavior. About a year and a half after I stopped purging, I met a guy, and we have been in a steady relationship for about two years. I've never told him about my eating disorder, and it makes me feel like I'm hiding something. I would really like him to know about this part of my past. However, I'm worried that if I tell him, it will throw our relationship off balance and he'll feel like he has to stay with me to help me be stable. I don't want him reading into comments I make and worrying that I'm sneaking around purging-- at this point, I've learned on my own how to control my behavior. Also, I'm worried that he will be upset that I waited so long to tell him. Do I tell him? Have you told partners about your eating disorders?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

replied April 11th, 2011
My my experience in telling my boyfriend I felt like I had to tell him before things got too serious between us. I didn't want him to feel like I lied or tricked him if he ended up liking me and my ED was a deal breaker for him. For me it was different because I met him in the middle of my treatment program. I told him but was able to say I was working on it and that he did not need to treat me different, if i wanted help I would let him know. I was lucky, he didnt judge me and telling him made our relationship stronger. If he did judge, I dont think I would want to be in a relationship with someone like that. As for your situation everyone is different. You are not actively engaging in your ED and it is now something of the past. I guess you need to weigh the pros and cons of telling your boyfriend. Good luck!
|