Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Do I need to take action concerning my over active imagination?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Over my life, I've been told countless times I have an over active imagination. I used to have imaginary friends based on people I'd seen and liked (e.g. the Doctor from Doctor Who). When I was younger I never really had real friends, I could keep myself content for hours just imagining that I was having conversations with my favourite cartoon characters.

The thing is, I'm nearing 18 now and I haven't grown out of it. I get into this obsessive state over celebrities that'll last months, for example, for 5 months now it's been Anthony Hopkins, so obsessive that I have seen 33 of his movies during this time. I won't pretend that I'm talking to him, but I will literally see myself as him. I will do things as simple as walking to the shop and in my head I am in his body. I will copy mannerisms and I will imagine somebody walking beside me, and I'll have a conversation with them in my head, or perhaps mutter under my breath. I will always imagine this, even unconsciously so, it's just stuck in my head that I am him.

This creates a problem for me at college, as I find it hard to concentrate. I will try to listen but my mind always wanders elsewhere, imagining another conversation in my head, again with myself as another person, or perhaps I'll imagine myself as a character of his, e.g. Hannibal Lecter.

Seeing movies with Anthony Hopkins in fills me with a huge sense of contentment, it makes me feel relaxed, in the same way that imagining myself as him does. I feel happy this way, and on the off occasion I say to myself "I'm not him", I feel incredibly lonely and down.

I also feel I should mention I am not socially awkward in any way, I find it very easy to talk to people, I just prefer my own company to being with another person. Nobody knows this, although needless to say everybody knows I like Anthony Hopkins.

What's wrong with me? Do I need to see my GP about this, or will he think I am wasting his time? Am I crazy?

Also apologies if I have put this into the wrong category, but I don't know where else to put it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|