Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

do i have ehlers danlos syndrome vascular type?

User Profile
My name is megan kuchta i am 22 years old and i am very consered about my health. My mother called me saying she thinks she has ehlers danlos syndrome vascular type and explained to me all her symptoms and well i have had the same problems for a while now. I have very soft skin that bruises and tears easily(unexplained bruises, cut my finger open with butter knife that i barely touched) ,chronic diarrhea, multiple knee dislocations and sublexations, incomplete bowel movements, chronic pain (lower back, neck,knees,legs,wrists and ankles) and just recently heart palpitations. Also and im not sure if this is related but when i was younger i was aenemic and had a very hard time gaining weight(didnt reach 100 pounds until i was 14 and i was five foot four at the time) no matter how much i ate.oh and just one more thing my teeth hurt and they look horrible, i have several cavities and my teeth look like they are rotting . Is it possible that i have vascular type ehlers danlos syndrome?
Thank you for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jeatmonkey
|

replied January 31st, 2013
Hi megan,

It does not sound like you have VEDS to me, but it is very hard to pinpoint for sure with out the genetic testing for VEDS. It sounds more to me like you have CEDS or classical or maybe the Hypermobile which is the most common. I have VEDS and my uncle died of VEDs at age 32. Do you have stretchy skin. Stretchy skin is very common in the other forms of EDS but not in VEDS. I am listing below the diagnostic criteria for the different types of EDS, but I would advise you to get a referral to a medical geneticist for a conclusive diagnosis.

VEDS
Major Diagnostic Criteria for the Vascular Type of EDS
Arterial rupture
Intestinal rupture
Uterine rupture during pregnancy
Family history of the vascular type of EDS

Minor Diagnostic Criteria for the Vascular Type of EDS
Thin, translucent skin (especially noticeable on the chest/abdomen)
Easy bruising (spontaneous or with minimal trauma)
Characteristic facial appearance (thin lips and philtrum, small chin, thin nose, large eyes)
Acrogeria (an aged appearance to the extremities, particularly the hands)
Hypermobility of small joints
Tendon/muscle rupture
Early-onset varicose veins
Arteriovenous carotid-cavernous sinus fistula
Pneumothorax/pneumohemothorax
Chronic joint subluxations/dislocations
Congenital dislocation of the hips
Talipes equinovarus (clubfoot)
Gingival recession

CEDS
Major diagnostic criteria for the classic type of EDS
Skin hyperextensibility
Widened atrophic scars
Joint hypermobility.
Positive Family History

Minor diagnostic criteria for the classic type of EDS
Smooth, velvety skin
Molluscoid pseudotumors: fleshy, heaped-up lesions associated with scars over pressure points such as the elbows and knees
Subcutaneous spheroids: small, cyst-like, hard shot-like nodules, freely moveable in the subcutis over the bony prominences of the legs and arms. They occur in approximately one third of affected individuals, are numerous, and feel like hard grains of rice. X-ray reveals an outer calcified layer with a translucent core. The spheroids represent subcutaneous fat globules that have lost their blood supply, becoming fibrosed and calcified.
Complications of joint hypermobility (e.g., sprains, dislocations/subluxations, pes planus)
Muscle hypotonia, delayed gross motor development
Easy bruising
Manifestations of tissue extensibility and fragility (e.g., hiatal hernia, anal prolapse in childhood, cervical insufficiency)
Surgical complications (postoperative hernias)

HEDS
Major diagnostic criteria should all be met to establish a diagnosis of EDS, hypermobility type:
Joint hypermobility
Soft skin with normal or only slightly increased extensibility
Absence of fragility or other significant skin or soft tissue abnormalities

Minor diagnostic criteria are supportive of but not sufficient to establish a diagnosis of EDS, hypermobility type:

Positive family history of EDS, hypermobility type (or family history of joint laxity), without significant skin or soft tissue fragility, in a pattern consistent with autosomal dominant inheritance
Recurrent joint dislocations or subluxations
Chronic joint, limb, and/or back pain
Easy bruising
Functional bowel disorders (functional gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome)
Neurally mediated hypotension or postural orthostatic tachycardia
High, narrow palate
Dental crowding

Diagnostic criteria from multiple sources mainly NCBI Gene Review
Good luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?