Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Do I have an eating disorder? Please answer honestly...

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I am not asking this question to be attention seeking, but I really don't have anyone in my life I feel I can ask about this. Please answer honestly and respectfully.

I am afraid that I might have an eating disorder. I might be bulimic but I'm not sure. I don't binge. I do purge after eating, but its irregular. I do it often but not after every meal. I did purge 3 times today. When I make myself throw up after eating I tell myself "I'll do anything to be pretty". I think there is something wrong with me.

So if this is something I do often but not after everything I eat then I am bulimic? Is something wrong with me after all? I don't want to be one of those people thats like "hey, I threw up once so I'm bulimic" or "I didn't eat for a whole day so I have anorexia". I don't want to minimize what people with real, severe eating disorders go through.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi princesssarah and welcome to ehealth: Yes, you have a problem...You don't have to be on a regular schedule to be bulimic, instead it just becomes something that you do to rid your body of the food that you have eaten so that the calories will be gone...Believe me, you are not minimizing the problem....You are admitting it....

See if you have a group of people that meet with this problem...If you don't get some help then it will continue and get real big...I am not going to mention what this disease can do to your body, as I feel confident that you may already know...Get some help...Control what you eat...Count your calories and stay on a healthy diet...This is about the best information I can give you....I send you my best wishes...Take care...

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?