Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Do I have ADHD?

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
I''m 19 years old, female and my whole life I''ve had symptoms such as:

Extremely short attention span, I could never pay attention in class, I can remember having this problem ever since I was 6, 7, and also daydreaming 24/7 which is really hard to stop!
I can never concentrate and get easily distracted.
If I listen to someone speaking I don’t pick up the words straight away or I don’t understand straight away, takes a while for the words to sink in
If im reading something, it takes ages for words to sink in, unless its really interesting
I get really hyper moments and depressive moments
Very quick temper
Irritated easily, get upset by small things
Say things without thinking
Always fidgeting
MY MIND GETS CLUTTERED SO IT IS HARD TO FUNCTION or think!! I feel like there''s so much going on in my brain it stresses me out

I only just came to hear of ADHD after my friend told me to google it.But I''ve always thought I was just stupid lol, but I can manage to get average grades most the time. I don''t want to go to the doctor in case he thinks I''m making things up (lol) and how come no one has noticed it! I''ve read on the internet that when children show a few of these symptoms they get diagnosed, but I wasn''t, even though I remember having these symptoms pretty much my whole life. I just feel like a smart person trapped in an stupid persons body Sad
..Or am I just stupid ?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 7th, 2010
ADD is the fear of thinking that comes from age two when you thought you were being punished for thinking. You can overcome it by counting backwards slowly from five to zero, paying attention to each number, when you feel the symptoms. Good luck,

Cliff
|

replied June 4th, 2010
you display exactly the same symptoms as me. im finding it hard to go to the doctors after a 2 min chat i had with her then she sent me home saying anymore problems come back... some help!... any way i think we both have ADHD but my mum thinks its an excuse for kids.. when coming to think of it it is not... anywayz ... talk to a mate or a family member but don't leave it undiscovered!!!
|
Users who thank hayley1996 for this post: muffinkiller 

replied June 19th, 2010
Good afternoon,
ADHA ... Do you have siblings? What are your parents like? The reason I'm asking is because ADHA is heredity. My youngest daughter now 10 has always been a handful since conception. In jk/sk I would receive phone calls from school ... grade 1 we saw a pediatrician, grade 2 child sociologist where all the results were the same... ADHA/ODD. In grade 3 her teacher referred us to a private social worker who FINALLY explained ADHA to me as a parent ... The reason I was not willing to hear the doctors was because I was an adult with ADHD undiagnosed Sad The doctors made me feel like it was a parenting issue . When all said and done we did medicate our daughter plus myself at 30 ... when we started the testing on my daughter I did the testing, plus my father as we both showed signs and both have ADHA too. Now when I look back on my childhood and teenage years ... I so see ADHA. Now an adult and mother of 3 ... I'm able to control all the symptoms you mentioned above as I feel balanced.

I'm passionate about this as I wish I was diagnosed earlier in life but thankful for my daughter grade 3 teacher who followed through and changed our life forever. Hopefully this was helpful.

Blessings,
Bobbi-Jo
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2010
I have also had this problem for many years. So take this information about me and maybe it will help you out. I am 16 and i have (ADHD). I cant do anything in class im a former highschool student (Junior). In my classes i simply could not pay attention. I would look off and pay attention to everything but what i needed to focus on. It really hurt my grades even though i was able to maintain my grades it took large amounts of work and dedication to be able to do it. And i simply didint have that much time in my life to study all day and stay up all night to go right back to school tired and irritated then i fell asleep in class. I also have trouble with words sinking in it takes me a long time to understand it i sometimes have to look things up to see what they mean. I feel bad that i cant comprehend things just as fast as other students and my parents think im just plain stupid and doing it on purpous to be a brat/mean about it but im not its a simple act of "i dont understand". It sounds like you have ADHD (Attention Deficite Hyper Disorder). I also had trouble with my emotions playing with me it seems like one moment i was happy and the other moment i am depressed and its because your emotions go so fast and you get so hyper and gittery that it wears you out and you get depressed and also tired. There are ways to control this type of behavior. I say things without thinking about how the other person will feel until after i said it. It gets me into alot of trouble with family, friends, school members, and my boyfriend. I still havint been able to stop that. But i also have anger management classes. Witch sounds like you should take it too. Its not really for your anger and agression but more for you to learn how to think before you speak. It keeps you calm and at ease. I also fidget i just jump randomly but its caused by excitement and the body muscles respond in crazy ways. BY THE WAY!!!!!!! A doctor wont think your insane i had these same problems they will actually be glad to hear this problem so they can give you a medication immediatly and they will know you will be ok!! i take a medication called Vyvanese!!.. it works amazingly but for the first few months you will have side effects such as dizzyness impared driving or operate machinery. So make sure you become familiar with its side effects before doing anything. You take one pill in the morning with water. this medication last from somewhere between 14 to 16 hours and it will get rid of all of your simptoms besides the anger issues. I really hoped i helped you out if you have any questions feel free to message me. xx talk to you soon i hope.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2010
well im sumwat like tht too..i was never able to pay attention in skool like never..i wld try really hrd but thn i wld just drift away i got sent to a continuation skool cuz of my bad grades..i remember once my counselor my mom nd i were having a metting..nd i had absoulty no idea wat he was tlking about thn all of a suddden he asks so is tht wat u wnt..thn there was an awkward silence he was waiting for my response nd i had no idea wat to say lol..i was like uuuuggggh do i wnt wat?? man my mom got so mad at me..she strted telling me things when we left lol..my temper is sumthing i need to control as well but its hard..its like i lose it nd lose over ne little thing nd cnt control myself i try but cnt..i evn strt crying sumtimes cuz i cnt control it..i also tend to get nervous arnd to many people..not the going on a roller coaster type of nervous..u knw wat i mean..yesterday my mom was a witness of tht we were at target nd there was like so many damb people..nd i strted getting all weird nd my mom askd if i was okay..of corse i said yea..but she was like are u sure....its just the way u are dnt let it get to u..i try in not thinking of it to much
|