Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Dizzy with numbness on my left side. Is it a pinched nerve?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
This is a really long one, but please read. I am very much looking for insight.

Let's start at the beginning:

About two months ago I was in a minor car accident and was rear-ended. It wasn't terribly hard, but it was enough of a jolt that I had back pain within a couple of hours, once the "OMG, I just got in an accident!" shock wore off. I was referred to a chiropractor, who began massage therapy and spinal adjustments for my lower back, as well as less frequent neck adjustments. (I had also had minor whiplash.)

I have been very wary about chiropractic adjustments, having heard mostly negative things about the whole practice, but after doing a little research I decided that it posed very little risk and allowed the doctors to proceed.

On December 17, I was at the doctor receiving my treatment. I had a massage, followed by a lower back adjustment and a neck adjustment. I can't be too sure now, but that neck adjustment might have felt a little too rough, though in the immediate moments after I didn't think too much of it.

However, within an hour or so, I began to feel a sort of pressure in my head. Kind of dizzy, spacy feeling. It would only last a few seconds, but from that point on it would come and go literally every few minutes. It's kind of like I'm moving/spinning, not the room. My vision does not change, I am very aware that I am not really moving, but it's like my head is, if that makes sense. The first couple of days of this, the dizziness gave me very disorienting headaches, kind of a cross between a carsickness headache and a hunger headache. I felt mildly nauseous by the end of the first day. At night, as I lay down trying to sleep, I was hit by a few very sharp pains through my head and in my neck. However, this part only seemed to last the first few days -- but I still have a recurring dull headache and soreness in my neck, with occasional mildly sharp pains in my neck, on the left side.

The other strange part is that when the dizzy sensation comes over me -- it happens like a wave that crests and then recedes -- my left leg is suddenly very weightless. When I walk, it's like it's trying to get away from me. Creepy, huh?

This lasted the first couple of weeks. At times it seems like it gets better, but then I'd wake up the next day and I'm dizzy again.

Well, the dizziness seems to be getting better somewhat. I have actually had a couple of days in the past week where I had no dizzy waves, but now I am having them again, though it is not as every-few-minutes frequent as it was in the beginning. It seems worse when I am driving, and I find some relief if I press down on my ears and close up the "entrance," so there is no atmosphere interpretation going on. Maybe it's some inner ear nerve positioning thing.

The disturbing part, though, is that in the last couple of weeks, the numbness in my leg seems to be getting worse. If I run/jog or put some type of sudden pressure on it, I get hit by a sharp numbness that kind of seizes the whole leg and engulfs it, but it always fades within a minute. The scary part now is that if I am lying down on my back, or sitting up with my legs up, and doze off slightly, after I subsequently get up I get hit with a burst of pain or a dizzy feeling on the left side of my head and in my neck, and my leg is completely numb/heavy, and it is now traveling up to my waist, all of this on the left side. It fades after I stand for about a minute and I try to walk, though walking is difficult in this state because it literally feels like my leg is tethered to the floor. When I try to sleep I get the same feeling of numbness seizing my left leg and "something's about to blow" feeling in my head as I start to drift off. I try to sleep on my stomach, and it feels like everything is going numb. If I try to move my legs as I get comfortable, it feels like my left leg is just flying away, a slight movement makes it swing way too far in relation to how much I consciously moved it. And the weightless feeling in my left leg when I get the dizzy waves seems to be affecting my left arm now as well.

Needless to say, this is all very frightening.

I had a lumbar MRI early on in my chiropractic visits for my lower back injury, and I had a slight bulging disc in my L5 or L6, and one of them is touching a nerve. My doctor is at a loss as to why I am experiencing these dizzy and numb feelings. He performed a neuro check at the beginning of these symptoms and is confident that I am not suffering a stroke or TIA (which is what I was afraid of -- hello, neck adjustment!!) I was referred to a neurologist a week after these symptoms started (around Christmas) to get a brain and neck MRI, though due to some incompetency by his desk nurse, my file was not sent in to the neuro to set up an appointment until last week. Neurologists are hard to get into, and so I can't get an appointment earlier than mid-February, and no doubt once that is done there will be yet another wait for an appointment to get that MRI. It has been over a month with this, and even though I have made people aware of the problem from day one, I am still no closer to getting any answers.

Does anyone have any inkling about what could be wrong with me? Do I have a pinched nerve in my neck from that neck adjustment? Could I have some bulging disc or misaligned vertebrae in my neck impinging on a nerve? Could it be related to my lower back injury? I cannot find anything anywhere on the internet that really describes all of my symptoms, and I am so confused and afraid.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Anybody?
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Anybody?
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Hi VDG, i found your post when i was searching for reasons for my own problems i've been having with my nerves... I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my lower back over 15 years ago, fortunately didn't need surgery, and went through physical therapy. I haven't had any pain associated with it since the initial diagnoses (initially, before therapy, i had the most intense pain imaginable in my left leg, i had trouble even sitting down.) So forward to now: I went on a skiing trip to Colorado a month ago and believe that i aggravated the disc because i have had some of the same symptoms you described, specifically "I get hit by a sharp numbness that kind of seizes the whole leg and engulfs it, but it always fades within a minute." A week ago is the first time i have ever had this feeling, but also in my left arm at the same time. I was driving and actually had to pull over because the sensation(seizing) was so unusual and strong. I have had spells of this almost daily since, but only lasting a few seconds. Guess it's time for me to see a doctor. Good luck with your recovery, hope it works out for you!
|