Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Dizziness when waking up from sleeping position

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi all,

My symptoms basically started one morning in the wee hours like 4 a.m when I was in bed and whatever was in my sight(like my room), started 'spinning' on its own accord without interference on my part. It was automatic. It went on for about 10 seconds or so before the 'spinning' went away on its own. Few minutes later, I threw up undigested food which I consumed few days earlier.

Then I went to the hospital and the doc said I was dehydrated and put me on an I.V drip(4 bags of sodium chloride if I remember correctly) and I was given some medicine for my nausea/dizziness, oral rehydration salts and anarex for pain relief if I'm not wrong.

Now it's been a few days already and though I haven't experienced the 'spinning' vertigo since then, I still experience dizziness in bed whenever I turn my head to the left in a lying-down position. This situation I try to avoid by turning my head to the right. I wake up feeling nauseous each time I get out of bed and my balance is affected when I walk.

Any advice? Help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Benign Paroxysmal Postional Vertigo - can occur after certain IV antibiotics, after a head injury and after oral surgery. The most telling symptom occurs when changing positions in bed. Have someone look at your eyes when changing positions. If they roll round and round, it's BPPV. The medical pundits posit that it's "stones" (otoliths) in the ear that become dislodged, roll around....causing the problem. Remedy is to have a "repositioning" done in doctor's office (called Epley maneuver) by lying on the table and turning to and fro as your doctor tells you. Additional exercises can be done at home in bed. They are easy and this cures the worst symptoms. However, they can linger for years. You get use to it. Some people get quite nausated and others don't. Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?