Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Dizziness when driving

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I havent had a panic attack in over a year, and lastnight whilst driving i went all dizzy and had to pull over, i had a really bad attack it took 2 hours to drive again and i was still panicky.

anyone else had this problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2008
Experienced User
That don't sound good, glad to hear that you where able to safely pull over. You should call your doctor today and ask about getting on some medication to get rid of the panic attack.

I have high stress but I don't take anything for it, it does not hit me like it does you.

But I wish you the best in this matter,
|

replied August 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with NightStar. You need to report the dizziness to your physician. The dizziness may be able to be controlled with the proper medication.
|

replied August 13th, 2008
When i start to have a panic attack, the first thing i feel is the dizzyness, then the racing heart rate. Then i really panic;) But i would get checked out by a cardiologist and make sure you are clear on the heart. That is what i did, and actually found out that i do have an irregular heart beat and that my septum does not move. So, its always best to be safe than sorry! Good luck
|

replied September 18th, 2008
Experienced User
I have known of many people to have panic or anxiety attacks while driving. i actually have them when stuck in traffic! i would talk to a doctor though about getting on some medication so the panic doesnt run your life. good luck!
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2008
I only get dizzy if I am lacking water or anemia. My panic attacks usually used to come on by a thought.
|

replied September 7th, 2009
i used to get them frequently when driving. and when riding my bike on the highway. i lived w/ anxiety most of my life..happens rarely now. it sucks, try to keep driving unless you really think your safety is compromised...hang in there
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I often get dizzy while driving as well. Sometimes it is just because I did not eat enough that day although other times I get very anxious behind the wheel and start sweating, feel dizzy etc... Unfortunately medication is not really working for me.

Just make sure you always pull over when you start feeling dizzy. This can litteraly save your life.
|

replied November 10th, 2010
I feel scared to drive at the moment With feeling Dizzy think Its not an inner ear problem Im 34 now Hate Motorways wont go on them So could nt have had an Ear Problem all this rime??Any Answers be good new herex
|

replied November 29th, 2010
dizziness when driving- post-concussion
I had a concussion in March and Ive had this panic attacks, i even had a car accident in june while i was driving in a very curvy highway i got dizzy i think and i couldnt make a right turn... scary its a miracle that im alive, i get dizzy mostly in highways and when i know i will be behind the steering wheel for a long time (more than an hour) my hands stsrt to sweat and i have slight headaches migraine like, im going this afternoon to check this with my physician to try to find out i just hope it is not a permanent dispairment from my previous concussion...
|

replied August 6th, 2011
Dizziness while Driving
i also have dizziness due to panic attacks while driving, seems like there are something that triggers it like being acidic and makes me dizzy, the flicker of my headlight due to bad alternator, HID and LED lights, then after that the dizziness feeling when in motion during elevation or sharp turn, bass noise, when overtaking trucks, bright or too many lights during nights(migraine like) then after that very nervous, heart beat rapid, dizziness, cold hands and sweating and knees are weak or shaking, sometimes headache in the sinus area or back of head, its a panic attack, its a ripple effect once you feel that something is wrong you remember that scary feeling of fainting, "oh no im fainting" and you panic more. Its from stress(Psychological) due to some things like; loss of relative, anger management, failed business venture, frustrations, just got out of a sickness, gain weight etc or (Physical) causes like acidic attack, astigmatism, eye problem, diabetes, ear problem, migraine, hunger, lack of sleep, but usually physical causes may be noticed even when not driving or just the passenger, that is the difference. At first it was simple dizziness, then it gets worst after months, And the worst thing is, after that driving panic attack episode, you develop more fear and becomes a phobia, so you now fear of driving increasing the panic level.

but lately ive been able to manage it with some things, as much as possible i avoid medication.

here are some what i do:

avoid caffeine, this thing will make you nervous.

some exercise that include neck exercise.(careful if you have high blood pressure).
(when not driving.)

distract yourself by having some snack or drink to boot while driving. or listening to your favorite music.

sometimes being aggressive and angry helps. but not advisable as this are mood swings.

one of the most important thing is breathing, you must keep in mind to have a breathing rhythm, that breathing rhythm can also help distract you from thinking of panic, inhale and exhale deeply and slowly then hold, then repeat, depending on where you are comfortable, too slow will make you dizzy(lack of oxygen), too much will make you dizzy(hyperventilate), it must be balanced, this is what SWAT and Fighter Pilots do cope with stress. Its effective too in my case. Also talk to yourself that whatever you feel like a g-force is normal.

it also gets worse while driving at night, mostly it can be a trigger for panic attack, but for those having a hard time driving at night or just using a pc, due to glare or other car's light HID or blue led light and gets dizzy about it, i suggest you take Lutein supplements.

once you manage it, you may gain confidence in driving again and the panic attack will be gone, eventually, it may come back, but remember the breathing techniques.
|